Skip to main content

I finally Have a Piece of Unobtainium

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
14 Aug 2020 14:46 #40722 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic I finally Have a Piece of Unobtainium
Make them a deal on their starter too (and whatever else they have)

JMM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
14 Aug 2020 14:43 - 21 Oct 2020 23:26 #40721 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic I finally Have a Piece of Unobtainium

wynlaidig wrote: It is interesting that the data tag is red. I have seen 3 original data tags on these units and they have all been black, however I have talked to others who have said they have seen red. So this seems to confirm that the original data tags did in fact come in both black and red versions.

Wyn I agree with the black or red id tags.I too have seen both on very well know high dollar Cords. I saw Ron Irwin's Cabriolet and its tag was red. I have seen Randy Ema's Beverly and it was the black tab. I believe its just as stated many times. These cars were put together with what was available at that moment on the line.
Yesterday I was looking thru the original ACD inventory books. Every item has an ACD part number so you need to find that number before you can look up every part be it nut, bolt or what have you. I found the 36 Cord car is exactly equipted as my Autolite master book states. Same with the 37 car. I did not find the VRB 4008C Autolite voltage regulator. I only found the 37 two charge regulator. There has been discussions here about the correct voltage regulator and I was investigating it. I'm still digging up information in the ACD master parts ledgers. They are fascinating to look thru. It tell you the parts bin, the factory part number and the autolite part number. Its the definitive proof of what the assembly line was installing at a given time. We know how things became hard to find so "other things" were installed.

Gary Parsons
Last edit: 21 Oct 2020 23:26 by 1748 S.

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
14 Aug 2020 13:59 #40719 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic I finally Have a Piece of Unobtainium
It is interesting that the data tag is red. I have seen 3 original data tags on these units and they have all been black, however I have talked to others who have said they have seen red. So this seems to confirm that the original data tags did in fact come in both black and red versions.

• Joe Holderman
  • Registered
More
14 Aug 2020 02:30 #40715 by Joe Holderman
Replied by Joe Holderman on topic I finally Have a Piece of Unobtainium
Well, at least you got it! The price is worth the cool story.

Future Cord owner.

Messenger Link: m.me/hotrodjoe

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
13 Aug 2020 15:29 #40709 by 1748 S
Well as some of you know I have been searching for a piece to my 37 Cord restoration. Yesterday I took delivery of it from Europe. Its the Autolite GCO4804A generator. This finishes a nearly 10 year search. Sure, I have seen several sold moments before I "got in line". I even missed out on purchasing three GAR4630 generators for $300.00 at the last west coast meet. They were not complete or at least one of them was not. I shoulda... Woulda... But I didn't. Anyway this item came from the Chech Republic.I purchased it thru paypal and it shipped on the 10th. I offered to pay shipping. That was $255.00. Then it was held up in customs till I paid an import tax of $37.00. I'm not comfortable saying what I paid for it. But no matter. As told so many times. Something is only worth what a person will pay for it. Yes, I do know what these sell for.. Enjoy the pics and I will show the complete rebuild if needed.I have not opened it up yet.

Gary Parsons
Attachments: