Skip to main content

Cord blueprints

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
07 Dec 2020 16:03 #41720 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic Cord blueprints
Hello there are 50-100 Prints from the Auburn auto co re stamped Hupp that pertain to the parts for the conv both cabriolet and phaeton and that is all they have. R
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
07 Dec 2020 05:28 #41719 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Cord blueprints
Thanks Jim, I know there are some minor errors in that drawing but it was posted to get Ken started. Your new gearbox booklet will be out soon.

T cockerell

• Frenchsic
  • Visitor
07 Dec 2020 03:08 #41718 by Frenchsic
Replied by Frenchsic on topic Cord blueprints
Ser. no. is 32090 S, eng FC2885 but I was told not original. Didn't have time to look for chassis no, will know in spring. I was given owners names back to around '47, but haven't looked at those yet. Was bought in '82 by James Maher of Naperville Ill, and that's already been verified by either George Arekelian or ACD lady I spoke with.
Ken

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
07 Dec 2020 03:01 #41717 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Cord blueprints
Terry, There are a couple of parts missing on the drawing. There is supposed to be a special washer between parts 19 and 20. Also the screws that hold parts 70 and 71 are not shown.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
07 Dec 2020 01:35 #41716 by Terry Cockerell
Ron Irwin is the offical 810 - 812 Cord historian however he is not into emails.
Jack Richards in Missouri also has the list on Cords and can give background history. Jack's email address is ................ [email protected]
Send him your Serial No, Drive Train No and Engine No.
Otherwise give Ron a call.
I'm located north of Sydney, in Australia.

T cockerell

• Frenchsic
  • Visitor
06 Dec 2020 21:48 #41715 by Frenchsic
Thanks Jim & Terry - I'm trying to soak up as much info as possible to avoid making mistakes when I get back to the car next spring. Met Fred Johansen yesterday thanks to his sponsoring a road trip of fall color & he advised me of the shifter electric don'ts vs clutch operation and I'm very fortunate to be near George Arekelian when in Mi. , whose already fed me a ton of good info. He mentioned the new manual in the works, so I'll be patient. I'll pursue your lead on driveshaft details thru the museum next wk. Meantime I'll study the trans views here in detail, as I've personally rebuilt 3,4, & 5 speed Citroen FWD transaxles along with my '80 Hydramatic FWD automatic and like to compare designs & issues. I know absolutely nothing about the history of my car unfortunately. Will pass on my car's info to Allan in Vacaville while I'm in Ca. along with talking more with Fred.
Ken

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
06 Dec 2020 19:12 - 06 Dec 2020 19:14 #41714 by Terry Cockerell
The existing booklet on the gearbox has an exploded view drawing of the gearbox which I have attached, plus the parts list. As Jim said this booklet is being currently updated. The older version is still available from the museum.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Dec 2020 19:14 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
06 Dec 2020 18:41 #41713 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Cord blueprints
Frenchsic, what the Museum sells is the service letters from Auburn to the dealerships when the car was in production. There has never been a "Shop Manual" for the Cord. The Museum does have some drawings of the drive shafts, etc. The ACD Club does have a transmission manual that has details on rebuilding the transmission and some shifting information in it. Right now there is a series of articles being written on the shifting components which will be turned into a manual when they are finished.

AS far as online information(other then this website) there isn't much, especially reliable information.
Jim

• Frenchsic
  • Visitor
06 Dec 2020 04:06 #41707 by Frenchsic
Having bought the ACD museum shop repair manual for the Cord, , I'm disappointed in not finding many cross-section drawings of the innards - was there ever a good set of drawings made in a shop manual of, say, the supercharger and gearbox? Or was the car's history so short that very little was documented about the engineering of gearshift changing hardware on the trans and driveshaft joints? How about technical stuff online beyond the club chatsites?
Ken

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
05 Aug 2020 10:48 #40649 by Terry Cockerell
Tom, I contacted Brian Spear . He told me they have around 500 original drawings of the Hupmobile Skylark and approximately 100 drawings that originated from the Auburn Automobile Company.
Wheels are in motion with the ACD Museum in Auburn.
What an absolutely wonderful discovery! Thanks for sharing this mate.
Terry Cockerell
Australia

T cockerell

• SamGrate
  • Registered
More
03 Aug 2020 15:47 #40644 by SamGrate
Replied by SamGrate on topic Cord blueprints
Hi Thomas,

You can contact either myself (curator) or Brandon Anderson (director) via email at:
[email protected]
[email protected]

We've been digitizing our entire archive for the past 6 years now and adding more Cord blueprints to the mix would be excellent! Hope to hear from you soon. Thank you!

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Aug 2020 13:16 #40642 by Thomas Wilcock
Replied by Thomas Wilcock on topic Cord blueprints
The Hupmobile Club newsletter is the "Hupp Herald" and not as I previously posted. They estimate they have about 50,000 blueprints and it will take a while for the volunteers to scan them all. I don't have contact information for Brandon Anderson But I did let our ACD Club president know.
Tom

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
03 Aug 2020 03:07 #40641 by Terry Cockerell
Hi Tom, this is really exciting news that needs to be saved and shared.
Why don't you introduce Brian Spear to Brandon Anderson at the ACD Museum in Auburn. It will be very interesting to see what is found.

T cockerell

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
02 Aug 2020 15:04 #40635 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cord blueprints
Truly something many Cord owners would be interested in. I know I'm interested in particular body blueprints of the cowl vents. Sadly mine are missing...

Gary Parsons

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Aug 2020 12:46 #40634 by Thomas Wilcock
Cord blueprints was created by Thomas Wilcock
A friend gave me old copies of the Hupmobile Club newsletter, the HUPP HEARALD. The club had received several cabinets of blueprints from the Hupmobile factory. The president, Brian Spear and some members are in the process of scanning them. In their summer 2018 newsletter it was noted that a print created by the Auburn Car Company dated in 1935 for the Cord 810 was found in the collection of prints. There could be other Cord prints found as they go through them all. Perhaps the ACD Club or ACD Museum should contact Brian to get copies of the Cord prints as they turn up. Perhaps the Hupmobile Club has already contacted the ACD Club.
Tom