Skip to main content

Electronic Ignition

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
22 May 2020 13:27 #40229 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Electronic Ignition
Pertronix = JUNK.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
22 May 2020 04:24 #40227 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Electronic Ignition
One way to rule out ignition is to do exactly that, install old stuff and if it doesn't change, not that.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve

• Neal Ziff
  • Registered
More
21 May 2020 23:34 #40221 by Neal Ziff
Replied by Neal Ziff on topic Electronic Ignition
I chased my tail for over a year with a similar scenario. I was sure it was in the ignition system - changed everything. Then I was sure it was fuel pressure - installed an online gauge, tuned the carburetor, flushed the gas tank, changed the filter, etc - still had the same problem. I finally found a very small crack in the fuel line. Fixed it - fixed the problem. Maybe it will turn out to be that simple for you too.

Neal

• Steve
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
21 May 2020 22:55 #40220 by Steve
Electronic Ignition was created by Steve
Does anyone have experience with electronic ignitions? The engine on my 31 Auburn was recently rebuilt and a Pertronix ignition was installed with the coil and plug wires that were called for. The car starts and runs fine for about 15 minutes but once it is warmed up the engine starts to backfire and miss and then looses power and quits. If I let it cool down it will restart. I have ruled out a fuel problem and I have replaced the coil and the ignition unit inside the distributor and added an additional ground to the engine. I'm running out of ideas other than going back to the original points and condenser and plug wires.