Skip to main content

Has anyone made an 851/852 Speedometer cable recently ?

• johnmereness
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 Apr 2020 15:06 - 21 Apr 2020 15:08 #39985 by johnmereness
Thanks, I will get into it and see what needs done. I made one once for the 1930 Franklin 147 Speedster Series Convertible Sedan and very fortunately over 100's of car projects have never needed to make another or could buy easily enough. The Auburn struck me as a bit more of the challenge via it being so long - 10 plus feet as it goes from dash forward through cowl and then under entire car to rear axle. And I have tried to avoid parts fabrication of any sort for the Auburn relying heavily on others (it has been nice to fry other fish).

JMM
Last edit: 21 Apr 2020 15:08 by johnmereness.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Apr 2020 19:35 #39983 by JIM.OBRIEN
Try NAPA or your local auto parts store. They have universal kits in different diameters and lengths. You cut it to length and swedge the end on with the tool tin the kit. I've used them many times with no problems.

• pete kelly
  • Away
  • Registered
More
19 Apr 2020 17:58 #39982 by pete kelly
Hi John
If you are having a problem I have a couple boxes in inner cable and a tool.
Pete

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
19 Apr 2020 05:14 #39977 by mikespeed35
Try Restoration Supply in CA. Just bought some cable for my Mitchell. The sell several Dia. and ends. Not having the proper crimping tool for the ends I solder them on, works good.

Mike Huffman

• johnmereness
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
18 Apr 2020 22:02 #39973 by johnmereness
Has anyone made an 851/852 Speedometer cable recently ? I looked in the box and quickly saw only one end of internal cable was showing itself - so assume it is broken. I will have to get it out and really look at it, but probably needs a new internal cable (external cable housing should be fine). Where did you purchase ? I ask as they do not make cables much larger - maybe in some sort of truck = it has to be 10 feet plus.

JMM