Skip to main content

Gen 2 Speedster brakes

• gen2#32
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 Apr 2020 02:20 #39868 by gen2#32
Replied by gen2#32 on topic Gen 2 Speedster brakes
And my apologies, I have apparently posted my questions to the regular Auburn Forum and not the Gen 2 and Replica forum. Perhaps the webmaster can relocate it for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gen2#32
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 Apr 2020 02:11 #39867 by gen2#32
Replied by gen2#32 on topic Gen 2 Speedster brakes
Thank you for your reply. What makes this more complicated to me is the backwards working "monkey motion" brake pedal linkage. Only thing I can see to do is to take everything out and start over with a more "normal" brake pedal/master cylinder/ booster setup. It will be tight in the engine compartment and the air horns and windshield washer will have to be moved. Just wondering if anyone has done this before.
Geoff N.

• yorkgulch
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
31 Mar 2020 15:30 #39860 by yorkgulch
Replied by yorkgulch on topic Gen 2 Speedster brakes
The sn on frame might tell you the make and model. Then maybe just an off the shelf master cylinder with factory booster. If you go to disk brakes I like doing all 4. Less proportioning valve issues. Speedway and others have drum brake covers for disks to make it look more stock. But most are 1940 Lincoln finned style.

Auburn 851

• gen2#32
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
31 Mar 2020 14:35 - 31 Mar 2020 14:39 #39859 by gen2#32
Gen 2 Speedster brakes was created by gen2#32
My recently acquired Gen 2 Speedster (#32) was built in 1973, it has manual drum brakes. The master cylinder is bad and I have taken note of what a project it is going to be to replace it. While I am at it I would like to add a power booster and make the whole setup something easier to inspect and service. Has anyone replaced their Gen 2 manual brakes with power brakes that can point me in the right direction? I can live with the drum brakes but would consider adding front discs while I am at it and have seen some conversion kits from CPP, Baer, and Wilwood though I have no idea what year and brake setup I currently have but assume it is mid-'60s Ford LTD. I have built and restored cars before so feel I am capable, but some help getting started would be much appreciated.
Geoff
Last edit: 31 Mar 2020 14:39 by gen2#32. Reason: Picture in wrong place, should be at the end