Auburn 680 Flywheel Gear Teeth

• IndycarBruce
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
10 Mar 2020 01:27 #39688 by IndycarBruce
Replied by IndycarBruce on topic Auburn 680 Flywheel Gear Teeth
Pete, I sent a private message to you. Thanks, Bruce

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2020 03:14 #39672 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Auburn 680 Flywheel Gear Teeth
Keep us informed.
Pete

• IndycarBruce
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2020 01:54 #39671 by IndycarBruce
Well I Googled "Flywheel Ring Gear 97 Tooth" and found several references to a 97 Tooth Ring Gear for 1940" era Kaiser-Willy's Jeep. Several places have them for around 40 bucks. And one site I found shows the OD as 12.375". I believe I'll route out a 12.375" plywood circle with my home-built CNC and see if the flywheel fits (I can't get a good measurement with a tape because the flywheel is stepped.) If that looks good, it's worth $40 to see if the teeth line up. If not, I may be able to return it.

• IndycarBruce
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2020 01:36 #39670 by IndycarBruce
Pete,
My flywheel is one piece, so there is no ring gear ID. I'd have to get it turned down on a lathe to fit a ring gear on it.

I counted the teeth 3 times and got 97 teeth every time. I measured the OD with a tape measure which was difficult. It's between 12-1/4" and 12-3/8".

I don't know if they used standard spur gear pitches on flywheels in 1929, but I tried a few "standard" pitches in an online gear calculator. With a Diametral Pitch of "8" and using 97 teeth, the OD would be 12.375".

Please let me know if you have something.

Thanks,
Bruce Wolfe

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
07 Mar 2020 16:28 #39665 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Auburn 680 Flywheel Gear Teeth
Send me the ID of the ring gear; I may have 1.
Pete

• IndycarBruce
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Mar 2020 18:09 #39659 by IndycarBruce
Thank you Mr. Gerczak & Mike. I called Sam at the museum. They ended up finding a flywheel and didn't need to do the machining. He suggested calling Frank Cek, which I did. Most of the teeth are damaged less than an 1/8" from the front end, so he thinks I don't need to worry about that. He suggested putting a little bit of a radius on the leading edge and he told me some things I can do with the Bendix pinion gear to get good engagement.

If I have the flywheel machined, Frank said the hard part will be finding the right ring gear.

After the call I measured some more teeth. One tooth is chewed back 1/4"- 5/16" from the front. That's the worst one. I may try going the weld repair & die grind route on a few of the teeth. There's a special TIG filler wire that is supposed to be good for cast iron.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
06 Mar 2020 05:02 #39657 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Auburn 680 Flywheel Gear Teeth
Call the ACD Museum and ask for the Curator Sam. They are having or have completed this exact thing on a 32 Auburn. They sourced a new ring gear etc.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• Gerczak
  • Registered
More
06 Mar 2020 04:26 #39655 by Gerczak
Replied by Gerczak on topic Auburn 680 Flywheel Gear Teeth
I am not sure if it is the same but I am working on 1929 Kissel 8-95 that has the Lycoming block and the flywheel is a very odd 97 gear tooth 12.32" diameter. I researched for a long time and did not find a replacement US gear however I did find a ring gear that fits a 1957-1962 Land Rover 60 that is the exact same diameter and tooth count (I bought it on Ebay of the UK). The only thing is that the Land-rover ring gear is only .44" wide and the original cast gear was 0.85" wide. My intention is to have the front half of my gear turned off (that is where the damage is) and have it shrink fitted to get my flywheel back in business. It isn't done yet but in the works.

Fort Wayne Clutch said they do not do it but they will rebuild everything else.

• IndycarBruce
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
05 Mar 2020 22:20 #39649 by IndycarBruce
Auburn 680 Flywheel Gear Teeth was created by IndycarBruce
The majority of the teeth on my flywheel are chewed up in the front with various degrees of damage- from very little damage to enough damage that I think the starter pinion gear would grind a lot even with a new pinion gear.

My flywheel is all one-piece. Can it be turned down on a lathe for a new ring gear?

I'd prefer to have it done in Indiana. Anyone know of a shop that does that? Any idea of the cost?