Engine Won't Crank

More
18 Jul 2019 17:16 #37812 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Engine Won't Crank
There are two grounding cables; one from the battery to the frame &one from the bell housing to the frame clean? Are the fasteners new ? Is the frame CLEAN on both sides? Are the lead washers there? Is the connection on the bell housing clean? Are all of the cables new and clean? If you need cables I stock them.
Grounding within the starter motor is suspect. With age the rivets that connect the grounding brushes to the starter end plate build up a resistance.
( have a fix for that) That starter pulls 600+ amps .

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2019 17:54 #37813 by rlwardne
Replied by rlwardne on topic Engine Won't Crank
Forgot about those rivets. Mine were really good, but the cables were burning up.
Wish you would take photos of the cables, and do check the grounds in the chassis and motor..

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
18 Jul 2019 17:57 #37814 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Engine Won't Crank
Am still thinking something is wrong in the starter. But plenty of great suggestions given here.
Bendix is the name brand but its used so much referring to the spring drive inside the starter. What happens internally is as the starter just begins to spin the gear is pushed towards the flywheel ring gear. Once the gears mesh the engine begins to rotate. When the engine is running releasing the key to the run position or the startix gets the message from the generator making power. It tell the startix to cut the flow of power to the starter.Then the bendix spring pulls the starter gear back to a normal position.Sometime this spring breaks. That can cause the starter gear to drag or jam into the flywheel gear.
Being a new person asking questions is nothing to be ashamed of.We were ALL that your place one time or two. Information is power.The more information you have , the more power you have to make decisions.

Gary Parsons
The following user(s) said Thank You: kenswheels

More
18 Jul 2019 19:10 #37815 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Engine Won't Crank
You are right Gary. It may well be in the starter. So many 're-builders' replace the brushes and the bendix , paint it up pretty ans call it done.
When you can drive your car thru the ACD parade at 102 degrees , shut it off down on the square , wait a few minutes and it fires off right away , the starting system is in good order.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• kenswheels
  • kenswheels's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
18 Jul 2019 19:10 #37816 by kenswheels
Replied by kenswheels on topic Engine Won't Crank
Well, it only took 5 pages, but she WORKS!
I took the starter off, tested it with my spare battery. It spun.
Put everything back together and BAM, we have ignition! (A slight Apollo 11 reference!).
I didn't take the starter apart to see if a spring was broken, but for now I'll take my chances.
Thanks again to all of you in the club who held my hand during this learning experience. You're all the BEST!

More
18 Jul 2019 20:18 #37819 by rlwardne
Replied by rlwardne on topic Engine Won't Crank
Hooray! If you don’t have the manuals and service manual you can buy thru ACD Museum and maybe Curt. Also I always looking for early Motors manuals.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds