Engine Won't Crank

More
18 Jul 2019 04:44 #37806 by rlwardne
Replied by rlwardne on topic Engine Won't Crank
He said above rocking the car wouldn’t rock the motor. This could be even more serious

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
18 Jul 2019 13:50 #37807 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Engine Won't Crank
Heat in a battery cable or terminal end can mean whats said above but.. Feeling the connections for heat tells you thats where the resistance is either because of corrosion or bad connection. A bad connection at the battery causes more amps draw so more heat is made.Best use the back of your fingers when touching a suspect hot wire like this. Using the top not the ends of your fingers will cause a quick pull away if its hot or you make contact with the electricity.Our natural reflex is to curl our fingers away from the problem. Think back if you ever touched an electrified fence for livestock. Your hand naturally grabs the wire because the muscles react that way. Touching with the back of the hand your muscle reaction is away from the wire.An old electrician taught me that so long ago. Wished I had known about it when I was 16 working in a welding sweatshop. My feet were wet and I got ahold of an electrical controller to spin a drum for painting.I could not let go but eventually fell backwards breaking the contact. A co-worker was running to knock me clear of this electrocution...
The following user(s) said Thank You: kenswheels

• kenswheels
  • kenswheels's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
18 Jul 2019 15:23 #37808 by kenswheels
Replied by kenswheels on topic Engine Won't Crank
I tried "starting" it from the Startix button this morning and found the cable to the starter and that end of the starter getting warmer and warmer.
Bad or stuck starter?
The connections are all tight with no corrosion.
Best way to check this would be? Mike's idea sounds reasonable if I can get under the car. It currently sits stuck half way up my lift ramp.
By "clutch plate" and "Bendix" is this referring to the starter? Or is there a plate under the actual clutch?

More
18 Jul 2019 15:36 #37809 by rlwardne
I would loosen the starter.
If Bendix is stuck you'll hear it snap back. At this point I’d
pull the starter and make sure Bendix is not broke and use jumper cables from a 6v battery and see how she spins.
Rick the car with it out like in 2 gear and see if motor moves.
Remember the car is
Positive ground if wired originally

• kenswheels
  • kenswheels's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
18 Jul 2019 15:45 #37810 by kenswheels
Replied by kenswheels on topic Engine Won't Crank
Thanks for the quick response.
Sorry to such a rookie, but what is the "Bendix"? I've seen that term referring to several parts.

More
18 Jul 2019 16:32 #37811 by rlwardne
In this case starter drive is referred to as the Bendix. It has the spring and gear that engages the flywheel on the end of the
Starter shaft

You be correct in thinking that Bendix is a parts
Manufacturer

Time to create page: 0.062 seconds