Engine Won't Crank

More
17 Jul 2019 18:47 #37800 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Engine Won't Crank
To check battery draw you need a meter that lays over the main battery cable. Then you try to start the engine. When the engine cranks or wont crank the meter shows the amp draw thru the cable. The meters I'm most familar with are round and the back part is like U channel that slips over the cable.

Gary Parsons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2019 18:51 #37801 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Engine Won't Crank
Buy a small amp gauge that just is held up to the heavy wire leading to the starter. It should show several hundred amps when the button is pushed. If it shows amperage then make sure the bendix is not jambed in the ring gear. If no amperage check the wires all the way from the battery to the starter and the battery to ground for corrosion or a poor connection. Also check the wire from the frame to the engine bolt. It could be a bad starter with high or no amperage draw.
Can you turn the engine over by rocking the car in gear; if the bendix is stuck that could release it?
Let us know how you make out.
Pete

• kenswheels
  • kenswheels's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
17 Jul 2019 20:03 #37802 by kenswheels
Replied by kenswheels on topic Engine Won't Crank
Thanks again Pete.
I've tried a couple of things now. My amp gauge (Fluke) showed nothing with the ING on, (-) probe on the out wire to the starter and the button depressed.
Also I tried bypassing the Startix by putting battery power (-) directly to the starter. Nothing but sparks.
I tried rocking the car in gear but it didn't seem to turn the engine at all.
I SO appreciate your guidance!
Ken

More
17 Jul 2019 22:26 #37803 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Engine Won't Crank
You should not have seen nothing but sparks when you connected the battery directly to the starter.Now it sounds like your starter has failed. Remove the starter and find a good mom n pop starter re-builder that can check this out.

Gary Parsons

More
17 Jul 2019 23:08 #37804 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Engine Won't Crank
Ken
Give me a call on the number I sent you under the private messages.
Pete

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
18 Jul 2019 03:59 #37805 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Engine Won't Crank
Before you remove the starter take the clutch inspection
cover off under the car and make sure the Bendix drive is not stuck into the flywheel gear. A quick and cheap way to check for too much draw is to see if the wire gets very hot If so there is too much resistance in whatever the wire feeds. If the cable too the starter gets very hot, for example,it would tell you the starter is trying to work but for some reason can't.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
The following user(s) said Thank You: kenswheels

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds