• kenswheels
  • kenswheels's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
13 Jul 2019 16:34 #37755 by kenswheels
Engine Won't Crank was created by kenswheels
Hey everybody.

Got home last night from showing off my 852 and when I was putting it away, the STX became more and more non-responsive until finally now all I get is a clicking noise from the Startix. The battery is fully charged. Any ideas as to where I should look first? The Startix itself is a rebuilt one from about 2 years ago. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2019 16:38 - 13 Jul 2019 16:39 #37756 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Engine Won't Crank
I am by far from an expert on these (see Cord people becoming experts though as Cord put them in the thick of the heat from the exhaust). If you think there is nothing wrong with the starter, then push the button on side of Startix. if button works then you may need to adjust the throw on the Startix contact (too far and it will not work and too close and it will engage when hot). My guess is an adjustment issue.

JMM
Last edit: 13 Jul 2019 16:39 by johnmereness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• kenswheels
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
13 Jul 2019 18:24 #37761 by kenswheels
Replied by kenswheels on topic Engine Won't Crank
Thanks John. I tried the button but got the same click. I'm not sure how to adjust the Startix, but am willing to try with the right guidance.

More
13 Jul 2019 18:48 #37762 by rlwardne
Replied by rlwardne on topic Engine Won't Crank
Possibly battery is no good. You can have six volts but a bad cell.
Are your cable. Like 00 and not like 12v car battery size. I bought a car which had small cable and eventually it would spin the motor. Changed to large cable and walla.
Make sure Bendix is not locked on to ring gear too.

• kenswheels
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
13 Jul 2019 19:20 #37763 by kenswheels
Replied by kenswheels on topic Engine Won't Crank
Hmmm...On the topic of batteries, I've noticed mine not holding a charge very long and when traveling with the lights on I come home to a very weak battery, even after only about 1/2 hour drive.
Any recommendations on a replacement battery? I've read about using 2 Optima 6V batteries in parallel. I'm not sure what that means. Thanks!

More
13 Jul 2019 20:07 #37766 by rlwardne
Replied by rlwardne on topic Engine Won't Crank
Two may give you better staying power, my guess with the lights on and driving are you showing a charge?It maybe with the lights on the third brush in the generator needs to be moved. The regulation on these is not the greatest some go to later voltage regulator. I have read that some put a rheostat on the field wire and output can be adjusted to driving conditions from in the car. Mine has headlights and pilot lights. Seriously thinking of going to 6v alternator if i do much after dark cruising. Third brush set to show a slight charge while motoring may be your best bet for now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kenswheels

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds