Skip to main content

How much PSI from a stock Mechanical Fuel Pump for a Supercharged 852?

• G-T
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
15 Jul 2019 00:02 #37781 by G-T
Thank You Very Much; Best Regards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rlwardne
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
13 Jul 2019 17:17 #37760 by rlwardne
All I see in the Auburn literature is an adequate supply to the carburetor. We checked a pump on one of the cars and it was around 3 psi.
The real governing factor is if you have too much pressure it will overcome the needle and seat and flooding will occur.
Those pulse or solenoid pumps are available in the under 5 psi range

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
13 Jul 2019 16:46 - 13 Jul 2019 16:47 #37757 by johnmereness

G-T wrote: I want to back up the mechanical fuel pump on a 1936 Supercharged car so I would need to know what is exactly the original factory PSI spec on it. I've read somewhere that I will be able to run a 12 volts electric pump at 6 volts so it will be easier to find a near perfect match, unless you have a company name and part number that would work just fine for this application. Thanks.

I would be buying a low pressure 6 Volt Fuel Pump. You can run 12 volt pumps on 6 (at least some of them), but it is a crapshoot as to what your results will be as to PSI.

Consider something like this: www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mercury_early...ord-and-mercury.html

JMM
Last edit: 13 Jul 2019 16:47 by johnmereness.

• G-T
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
13 Jul 2019 13:53 #37754 by G-T
Actually, the previous owner plumbed the gas line (near the tank on the frame rail) with a "T" that is providing both : gas thru the pump to another T at the carb and another gas line bypassing the pump that is still going the normal route through the mechanical pump up to the other T at the carb., as for gasoline quality I've flush all the system and refilled it with higher octane premium grade gaz. Now is it the same mechanical fuel pump use in a normal and a supercharged engine? and what is exactly the manufacturer's recommended PSI requirement?

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
12 Jul 2019 23:12 #37753 by Curt Schulze
I have seven Auburns 31-36 6, 8 & S/C I run a pulse pump through the original mechanical pump with a new diaphragm that is not sensitive to alcohol.
If you are interested send me a PM with your number, I'll give you a call.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• rlwardne
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
12 Jul 2019 22:32 #37752 by rlwardne
You should be able to find a six volt solenoid pump thru your parts supply house that puts out around 3psi. If it’s a
Backup to the stock
Pump these will flow thru to the stock pump. Some will not let you draw they them

• G-T
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
12 Jul 2019 21:28 #37751 by G-T
I want to back up the mechanical fuel pump on a 1936 Supercharged car so I would need to know what is exactly the original factory PSI spec on it. I've read somewhere that I will be able to run a 12 volts electric pump at 6 volts so it will be easier to find a near perfect match, unless you have a company name and part number that would work just fine for this application. Thanks.