• IndycarBruce
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
01 Jul 2019 14:31 #37630 by IndycarBruce
Engine Stands was created by IndycarBruce
I hope to hoist the engine out of my Auburn 680 tomorrow. Will I be able to mount it on a modern day engine stand? Any recommendations for a stand?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2019 14:39 #37631 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Engine Stands
Personally I would NOT feel safe trying to mount an 8 cylinder on any bell housing type stand. At the present I'm using a 2000 lb stand holding my 37 Cord V8 engine.Same stand held my 1100 lb Ford diesel V8 engine. No matter what you end up using getting the engine load balanced is the key to safely being able to turn engine on stand. Make sure you grease the shaft where the mount goes thru the stand.There is tremendous stress in that area.

Gary Parsons

• IndycarBruce
  • Topic Author
  • Away
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
01 Jul 2019 15:37 #37632 by IndycarBruce
Replied by IndycarBruce on topic Engine Stands
Gary, Thank you. Actually mine is a 6 cylinder, but I get your point. I was concerned about having a cantilever set up with an engine that long. I have some 2” square steel tubing. I have thought about welding up some supports to line up with the motor mounts on the front & rear. Maybe I can modify a Harbor Freight 2000 lb stand and make it so it will pivot in both front & back.

More
01 Jul 2019 16:01 #37633 by Neal Ziff
Replied by Neal Ziff on topic Engine Stands
When I removed my 8cyl I used 2 methods. For most of my work I just cradled the engine across 2 sawhorses. That worked really well. When I needed rotation and full access I used a standard engine mount BUT supported the other end with a cargo strap from a beam in my barn. Simple, but effective. I assume you are using a load balancer for removal and re-installation. Couldn't have done it safely without it.

Neal

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds