• Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
13 Mar 2019 14:57 #36846 by James Cowart
Replied by James Cowart on topic Water pump removal
Here you go, Gary.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
07 Mar 2019 15:03 #36818 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Water pump removal

James Cowart wrote: Finally split the water pump and the shaft slides out of the bearing housing.

Can you please post a picture of how this finally came apart. I'm happy you got it apart without breaking anything. About 45 years ago I "TRIED" to remove the shaft and imperror from my 37 Cord water pump...Did not turn out well. I drove a thin blade screwdriver into the case to end cap. It looked and felt good but the complete seal edge of the cover broke off. I gave up... Called Stan and shipped it for rebuild... I did not packaged it well enough and the post office broke and ear off the mounting plate. Stan was able to fix that. He needed both hubs so I made a shipping box from 3/8 plywood and insured it for $200.00... That too arrived with one hub missing. Post office said because one part was lost but one part "made it" they would only pay half the insured value.... No matter what I said about half not being a complete pump they would not give me the complete $200.00 of insured valve.. Stan was the person that told me the value. I did not invent the amount...Not me best event. But Stan did a fine job and it looks like it will last forever.

Gary Parsons

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
07 Mar 2019 05:06 #36816 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Water pump removal
May I suggest machining the inside of the packing nuts for a modern seal. Much better than packing if the shaft and bushing are good. The packing nuts should be one left hand thread and one right. If you want to alter the nuts I can help with seal numbers if they are the same as L-29.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• James Cowart
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
07 Mar 2019 02:56 #36813 by James Cowart
Finally split the water pump and the shaft slides out of the bearing housing.

• James Cowart
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
05 Mar 2019 19:20 - 05 Mar 2019 19:21 #36803 by James Cowart
So the front of the water pump is slotted and mated to the gear and pulley on the front of the timing cover?? And it should just slide backwards thru the bearing housing? Well, the water pump is corroded solid and i cant split it so far. Ive got it full of evaporust and gently tapping. If in fact you have to take the timing cover off, id also have to get the flywheel off and a pulley which has also cracked into 20 pieces. So waiting on evaporust.
Thanks
Last edit: 05 Mar 2019 19:21 by James Cowart.

• James Cowart
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
05 Mar 2019 17:09 - 05 Mar 2019 18:27 #36802 by James Cowart
Thanks everyone. The reason for removing the pump is that the gland nuts have shattered in place and BOTH need replacement. So if anyone has recommendations on who to contact for gland nuts, please let me know.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2019 18:27 by James Cowart.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
05 Mar 2019 16:47 #36801 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Water pump removal
This topic is also out on the AACA site :
forums.aaca.org/topic/323260-water-pump-removal-lycoming-2h/

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 Mar 2019 05:21 #36799 by mikespeed35
The pump shaft has a slot to drive it. If you split the water pump impeller housing the shaft and impeller, bushing should come out. Please check with others to confirm.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 Mar 2019 05:18 #36798 by mikespeed35
Stop, it looks to me much like a L-29 water pump. My guess is that on the timing gear side there is a gear on the end and if you do get it out you will drop the timing chain into the case and will have to take the front of the engine apart to get the timing chain back in position. I think the pump will come off without taking the timing gear side housing off. Please someone with more Auburn knowledge comment.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• James Cowart
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
03 Mar 2019 23:04 #36794 by James Cowart
Water pump removal was created by James Cowart
Im,trying to remove the water pump from a Lycomimg 2H engine. How do i remove it from the front timing chain/gear area? Ive no experience with these shaft driven pumps and generators.
Thanks
James C