Skip to main content

1932 Auburn 2 Speed rear end

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
23 Feb 2019 05:03 #36692 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic 1932 Auburn 2 Speed rear end
A air vent is needed. I vented mine also but a different way. Used a brass sintered metal vent with a pipe tread into the top plug in dif.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2019 05:54 - 22 Feb 2019 06:01 #36685 by Auburn
Replied by Auburn on topic 1932 Auburn 2 Speed rear end
I welded one modern seal onto another as each had the correct outer and inner diameter needed for the pinion seal.
For the axle seals, I cut out and glued one modern seal with correct Inner diameter onto that square plate at the brake plate.

It still leaked and I found out later that there is a build- up of air pressure in the differential case, which pushes the oil pass the seals.
The difference between day and night temperature is enough to have air push oil and leak when parked.

This is entirely solved by drilling one tiny pin hole on top the differential case, to let the air pressure out.
The location of the hole is somewhere in the middle of the slope, between the oval center of the differential case and where the case becomes a tube, to avoid the middle area where the ring gear slashes the oil around

If oil leaks are your issue, and by leaks I mean those line marks at the tires, but not major dripping of oil, you may want to try the hole approach first.

My car is also a 1932 8-100 with the dual speed
Last edit: 22 Feb 2019 06:01 by Auburn.

• yorkgulch
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2019 14:13 #36673 by yorkgulch
Replied by yorkgulch on topic 1932 Auburn 2 Speed rear end
The inner axle seals were made by Frank Cek. The Ceks had them for sale at Hershey last fall.

Auburn 851

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2019 05:07 #36670 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic 1932 Auburn 2 Speed rear end
On my 35 I used the outer original seal flange and found a od. seal that fit that and didn't have to make a adapter ring.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• ttcinc
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
19 Feb 2019 14:45 #36662 by ttcinc
1932 Auburn 2 Speed rear end was created by ttcinc
I'm going to replace the Axle seals and Pinion seal with modern lip seals. I cannot find exact dimension seals that will work so I am going to machine some adapter rings. Has anybody done this or know of a direct replacement Preferably? your input is appreciated.