Skip to main content

Diamondback Auburn Tyres

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
18 Dec 2018 04:47 #36156 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Diamondback Auburn Tyres
When I say welded I mean the spokes are welded in verse. removable spokes. 1935/36 Speedsters should have welded spoke 16" wheels. You can tell this without looking inside of rim. There should be no nipples on the spokes. Otherwise no way to adjust the spokes.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Roger Learmonth
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
17 Dec 2018 16:19 #36149 by Roger Learmonth
Replied by Roger Learmonth on topic Diamondback Auburn Tyres
Mike, I've never seen the inside of my wheels. Are all Speedster wheels welded?

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
17 Dec 2018 14:55 #36148 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Diamondback Auburn Tyres
Sidenote: Diamondback offers two solutions:
1. A Toyo tire or "X brand tire of some sort" with a whitewall applied (you may run these tubeless).
2. The Auburn Radial Tire - I have no clue if you can run tubeless or not (call someone at Diamondback and spend some time with them on the phone).

And, worthwhile asking if they will be making a 6:50 X 16 (which they should have made in the first place as I do not know who advised them, though not all that much stuff uses 7:00 x 16 compared to popularity of 6:50 x 16 size across multiple automotive manufacturers).

JMM

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
16 Dec 2018 23:48 #36145 by mikespeed35
I just put a dab of silicone calk on each spoke for assurance. Since the spokes are welded I'm not sure that would be needed. The inside of my wheels were excellent, no rust.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• Roger Learmonth
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
16 Dec 2018 20:30 #36143 by Roger Learmonth
John, I've sent Diamondback an email. I'll post my response. My car has 700/16 cross plies so I assume the same size radials will be OK.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
16 Dec 2018 19:22 - 16 Dec 2018 19:23 #36141 by johnmereness

Roger Learmonth wrote: Do you know if the new 700/16R Diamondback Auburn Whitewall Radials are Toyos or designed to be tubeless? The supplier says they are designed for tubes but I'm suspicious.

Sorry, I do not have the answer, though I find people at Diamondback to be very knowledgeable. I like the look of the new Auburn Radial tire, but at the time they were not offering a 650 x 16, so we went with the Toyo tire (upon Mike Huffman's recommendation).

JMM
Last edit: 16 Dec 2018 19:23 by johnmereness.

• Roger Learmonth
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
16 Dec 2018 18:31 #36140 by Roger Learmonth
Do you know if the new 700/16R Diamondback Auburn Whitewall Radials are Toyos or designed to be tubeless? The supplier says they are designed for tubes but I'm suspicious.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
16 Dec 2018 18:24 #36139 by johnmereness
The Toyo tire is designed for Tubeless - and to be blunt about it = if Mike Huffman is running his car that way it works just fine for me.

JMM

• Roger Learmonth
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
16 Dec 2018 18:16 #36138 by Roger Learmonth
John,
May I ask why you've not used tubes?

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
16 Dec 2018 17:59 - 16 Dec 2018 18:20 #36137 by johnmereness
This happened on the way home from ACD Festival 2017 (not fun and lucky it was a rear wheel). Coker brand radial. Several flats over 10 years (most in garage after coming back from this or that) - the issue seemed to be an aggressive ribbed pattern on inside of casing basically wearing into tube (a well talced tube and casing too). By the way, all things considered probably not bad service given 10 years and probably about 9K miles, but .... What I objected to more so on the day to day was "thumping" /"out-of-round" (had to replace one via it had so much weight on it and still .... and replacement was better, but ...., other 3 were fine).

JMM
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Dec 2018 18:20 by johnmereness.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
16 Dec 2018 17:57 #36136 by johnmereness
I am running Diamondback Whitewall radials on the 1935 Auburn 851 Phaeton - they are a Toyo tire that has a whitewall applied. I am running tubeless (I have calked the spokes and then applied a calked in gutter strip). We have about 1100 1200 miles on them now (all this year) - DREAMY TIRES.

JMM

• Curt Schulze
  • Away
  • Registered
More
16 Dec 2018 00:29 #36134 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Diamondback Auburn Tyres
Here is t thread on the AACA site about this very subject. forums.aaca.org/topic/319642-radial-tires/

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• yorkgulch
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
15 Dec 2018 20:30 #36133 by yorkgulch
Replied by yorkgulch on topic Diamondback Auburn Tyres
I was also interested in the Auburn tires and would like to run tubeless. Mike would you share how you successfully seal the rim on this or a new thread?
Craig

Auburn 851

• Roger Learmonth
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
15 Dec 2018 18:10 #36132 by Roger Learmonth
Thanks Mark but I need new tyres and I'd like to fit radials but am concerned about running tubes and experiencing punctures. I am however, assured by the supplier that the Auburn whitewalls are intended to take tubes and as such, have smooth inner walls. We shall see what we will.

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
15 Dec 2018 17:41 #36131 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Diamondback Auburn Tyres
Roger: I just purchased a set of Auburn tires for a sedan project I'm having done. Unfortunately, I won't know their performance until the car is on the road late next year. I can get back to you at that time
Mark

• Roger Learmonth
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
15 Dec 2018 10:27 #36127 by Roger Learmonth
Thanks Mike. The UK supplier tells m e that the Auburn tyres, unlike others, have smooth inner carcases and are specifically made to take tubes. You have clearly sealed your wires in some way to run without tubes. If it works, the easiest approach for me, would be to run with tubes but I am nervous. Punctures on Speedsters are no fun.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
15 Dec 2018 06:10 #36125 by mikespeed35
I have Diamond Back tires on my Speedster, but not the Auburn tire. They were not available when I bought mine. I have run these tires tubeless for 55,000 miles with no problems. I am not the only one that does not use tubes on 35-36 Auburns. Just a thought for you.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• Roger Learmonth
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
14 Dec 2018 11:55 #36121 by Roger Learmonth
Diamondback Auburn Tyres was created by Roger Learmonth
I have one of the few 851 Speedsters in England and need some new tyres. Diamondback Auburn Whitewall radials have just become available in the UK and before I invest at a prodigious price, I wonder if anyone in the US has experience of these tyres. I am told that the Coker equivalents are intended to be tubeless and that the rough surface inside the carcasses causes tubes, used with wire wheels, to fry and puncture. Are there similar problems with the new Auburns?