Skip to main content

Auburn Speedster, Bohman & Schwartz?

More
28 Nov 2019 19:53 #38935 by LC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
08 Nov 2019 04:58 #38814 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Auburn Speedster, Bohman & Schwartz?
Thank You.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

More
07 Nov 2019 10:18 #38808 by LC
Replied by LC on topic Auburn Speedster, Bohman & Schwartz?
Hello Mike

The Serial Number is 33515E
Motor Number GH 4781

Thanks

Lawrence

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
07 Nov 2019 05:37 #38806 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Auburn Speedster, Bohman & Schwartz?
What is the serial number and motor number of this car? Thanks
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

More
06 Nov 2019 12:43 - 07 Nov 2019 10:59 #38796 by LC
Hello All,

I have decided after 30 years of ownership to put my unique and special 851 Auburn Supercharged Boattail speedster up for auction at Bonhams Bond Street sale 7th December 2019. This unique vehicle comes with a very glamorous Hollywood history and also unique coach work by Bohman & Schwartz.
Please see link below:
www.bonhams.com/auctions/25502/preview_l...ist&length=12&page=1
Last edit: 07 Nov 2019 10:59 by LC.

More
30 Jan 2019 10:28 #36571 by LC
Thanks Jonathan
Nice to be back here.
On the 21st of March this year it will be 30 years since i bought the Speedster on my 28 Birthday in Denver Colorado from David R Kerr a lovely Gentleman.
It was one of several rare Automobiles i bough that day from David.

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
30 Jan 2019 00:09 #36569 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Auburn Speedster, Bohman & Schwartz?
Welcome back to the ACD Club , Mr. Lawrence Cookson. Your B & S Auburn speedster is an amazing survivor. We look forward to hearing further from you about the vehicle.

More
29 Jan 2019 20:25 #36568 by LC
Hello All
Thank you Roger for the introduction.
I was a member back in the late 80’s and early 90’s
Happy to have rejoined.
Lawrence Cookson

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
16 Dec 2018 01:07 #36135 by Jonathan Richards
Hello Roger Learmonth, Your additional post to this forum thread with delightful photo images is much appreciated. We look forward to seeing a post to this form by your friend Lawrence Cookson and will welcome him warmly. I hope he can be encouraged to join the ACD Club. His B&S Auburn Model 851 speedster already sports an ACD Club badge on its grille. More later from America, Jack Richards #1080 at Chesterfield, MO , USA

• Roger Learmonth
  • Visitor
15 Dec 2018 14:22 #36130 by Roger Learmonth
Replied by Roger Learmonth on topic Auburn Speedster, Bohman & Schwartz?
I have been in touch with Lawrence Cookson who owns the Hutton B&S car. He has sent me lots of later pictures but not so different from the ones I have already posted. He is keen to join the forum and he has a lot of the car's history. Do welcome him when he comes aboard.

• Roger Learmonth
  • Visitor
15 Dec 2018 11:03 - 15 Dec 2018 11:05 #36129 by Roger Learmonth
The images of the car in black and red are as today. The red car is as I first saw her in 2001. At the time she was sporting Woodlites which are now gone but the car still retains Woodltie sides (UK cars). I am in contact with the owner who says he has the full documented history but he is a very private person and may be reluctant to share. Images of my car can be found at www.rogerlearmonth.com
Last edit: 15 Dec 2018 11:05 by Roger Learmonth. Reason: Addition

• Roger Learmonth
  • Visitor
15 Dec 2018 10:41 #36128 by Roger Learmonth
Jonathan, Thank you for your response. In 2001 when I was first looking for a Speedster, after three trips to the US, I came across the so called B&S car in Manchester, England. I really loved it and in the end the owner and I were just $7000 apart. I wished I'd stumped up the difference but I didn't. The car was in poor order at the time and there was water in the oil or the other way around, but I would have loved to have owned it, still would. Since then the owner has kept the car and has undertaken an extensive refurbishment, it is now in excellent condition. I'll look out my pictures and post them. Happy festive season to everyone from merry England.
By the by, I do own the Philippines car - 32910E. now in pretty good order.

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
15 Dec 2018 00:20 #36124 by Jonathan Richards
Dear Mr. Learmounth, How nice to hear from a UK member of the ACD Club. I would certainly enjoy seeing photo images of this much modified Auburn speedster if you would be so kind as to post them on this Forum thread. The Membership Directory indicates you own a 1935 Model 851 Speedster. Favor us with an image of that machine if you will. Merry Christmas from America, Jonathan B. (Jack) Richards II #1080 at Chesterfield, Missouori, USA.

• Roger Learmonth
  • Visitor
14 Dec 2018 12:02 #36122 by Roger Learmonth
This car is reputed to be one of the six Speedsters in England. The heart shaped radiator is gone as are the Frenched lights. The car still retains its elongated wings, hidden hinges on the doors and rear wheel covers (spats). I can post some images if required.

• fast_is_fun
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 Oct 2018 13:16 #35788 by fast_is_fun
Replied by fast_is_fun on topic Auburn Speedster, Bohman & Schwartz?
Jack,

Thank you for that info, helped clarify a bunch of things.

My friend found some other photos of the car, one is when it was painted white infront of sunset tower hotel. The other is the work completed but the car painted in a dark color with an earlier California plate than the other pics, timeline from the original article I posted is definitely a bit mixed up.

Attachments:

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
21 Oct 2018 17:22 #35780 by Jonathan Richards
Like yourself, fast_is_fun , I too like to figure things out when I get "focused". I{n this case of the Betty Hutton Duesenberg Model J the unit is SJ572. The Duesenberg website has a post at this link: www.facebook.com/DuesenbergMotors/posts/530219567055625:0
Hope this will enable further scholarship/research on all aspects of this topic. Have a pleasant Sunday, Jack Richards #1080 at Chesterfield, Missouri.

• fast_is_fun
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 Oct 2018 01:35 #35772 by fast_is_fun
Once I get focused on something I really like to figure it out, definitely a good part of butchery through to this story. Whether B&S or someone else, a massive amount of time and effort was put into this car, looks like it would be special in its day and some record of it. If this story was modern day I would say the car was a rendering for the article but not in 1955.

I looked up the Hutton part as I was trying to find more info, the magazine article definitely has all of the Hutton story mixed up. My take on it is:
• Barbara Hutton and Prince Alexis D’Viani, of Georgian descent, married in 1933. Depending on the source between March and May of 1935 they were well separated, divorced and she was remarried to another guy. In August 1935, Alexis died in Spain driving a Rolls Royce which Hutton bought him two years earlier.
• The only evidence I could find of anything going to B&S connected with Hutton is a Duesenberg in 1933 which she bought for Alexis’ brother, Serge. Serge also died in 1935 from a polo accident.
• The Auburn Hutton supposedly purchased was originally red with an alligator interior. Can find no evidence of it at all except mentions in random stories, but sounds like a game telephone spun out of control.

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
21 Oct 2018 00:02 #35771 by Jonathan Richards
Question : Did Mr. Gordon buy the 1935-36 Auburn speedster from "original owner" Barbara Hutton or from the widowed Princess M'dvani? This is a fascinating story of classic automobile butchery , IMHO.

• fast_is_fun
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Oct 2018 21:31 #35770 by fast_is_fun
Sorry, was the “by the way” part a continuation of the first sentence saying it was new work in 1955 or a new sentence stating the car is still around today?

Even if it wasn’t B&S still solid work, would like to see the other works that shop have done.

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
20 Oct 2018 17:59 #35767 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic Auburn Speedster, Bohman & Schwartz?
Hello. How come the funcy stuff is always blamed on Bohman&Schwartz . By the way this car still survives looking like it did when it was new. R
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• fast_is_fun
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Oct 2018 15:52 #35759 by fast_is_fun
Auburn Speedster, Bohman & Schwartz? was created by fast_is_fun
Hello,
Someone sent me this old article about an Auburn Speedster custom coachwork by Bohman and Schwartz. Besides this article, I can't find any other info about this car. I've been looking for additional pictures or record that this was built by B&S, if it was from B&S I would think this is one of their more unique works.

Does anyone know anything about this car? If it's not from Bohman any idea who would have done this work?

Thank you for the help, much appreciated.

1935 Auburn Boattail Speedster 851 supercharged
Originally owned by Barbara Hutton. In 1937 sold to Alan Gordon and at that time customized by Bohman and Schwartz.

Attachments: