• fast_is_fun
  • Topic Author
  • New User
  • New User
More
20 Oct 2018 15:52 #35759 by fast_is_fun
Auburn Speedster, Bohman & Schwartz? was created by fast_is_fun
Hello,
Someone sent me this old article about an Auburn Speedster custom coachwork by Bohman and Schwartz. Besides this article, I can't find any other info about this car. I've been looking for additional pictures or record that this was built by B&S, if it was from B&S I would think this is one of their more unique works.

Does anyone know anything about this car? If it's not from Bohman any idea who would have done this work?

Thank you for the help, much appreciated.

1935 Auburn Boattail Speedster 851 supercharged
Originally owned by Barbara Hutton. In 1937 sold to Alan Gordon and at that time customized by Bohman and Schwartz.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2018 17:59 #35767 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic Auburn Speedster, Bohman & Schwartz?
Hello. How come the funcy stuff is always blamed on Bohman&Schwartz . By the way this car still survives looking like it did when it was new. R
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• fast_is_fun
  • Topic Author
  • New User
  • New User
More
20 Oct 2018 21:31 #35770 by fast_is_fun
Replied by fast_is_fun on topic Auburn Speedster, Bohman & Schwartz?
Sorry, was the “by the way” part a continuation of the first sentence saying it was new work in 1955 or a new sentence stating the car is still around today?

Even if it wasn’t B&S still solid work, would like to see the other works that shop have done.

• Jonathan Richards
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
21 Oct 2018 00:02 #35771 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Auburn Speedster, Bohman & Schwartz?
Question : Did Mr. Gordon buy the 1935-36 Auburn speedster from "original owner" Barbara Hutton or from the widowed Princess M'dvani? This is a fascinating story of classic automobile butchery , IMHO.

• fast_is_fun
  • Topic Author
  • New User
  • New User
More
21 Oct 2018 01:35 #35772 by fast_is_fun
Replied by fast_is_fun on topic Auburn Speedster, Bohman & Schwartz?
Once I get focused on something I really like to figure it out, definitely a good part of butchery through to this story. Whether B&S or someone else, a massive amount of time and effort was put into this car, looks like it would be special in its day and some record of it. If this story was modern day I would say the car was a rendering for the article but not in 1955.

I looked up the Hutton part as I was trying to find more info, the magazine article definitely has all of the Hutton story mixed up. My take on it is:
• Barbara Hutton and Prince Alexis D’Viani, of Georgian descent, married in 1933. Depending on the source between March and May of 1935 they were well separated, divorced and she was remarried to another guy. In August 1935, Alexis died in Spain driving a Rolls Royce which Hutton bought him two years earlier.
• The only evidence I could find of anything going to B&S connected with Hutton is a Duesenberg in 1933 which she bought for Alexis’ brother, Serge. Serge also died in 1935 from a polo accident.
• The Auburn Hutton supposedly purchased was originally red with an alligator interior. Can find no evidence of it at all except mentions in random stories, but sounds like a game telephone spun out of control.

• Jonathan Richards
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
21 Oct 2018 17:22 #35780 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Auburn Speedster, Bohman & Schwartz?
Like yourself, fast_is_fun , I too like to figure things out when I get "focused". I{n this case of the Betty Hutton Duesenberg Model J the unit is SJ572. The Duesenberg website has a post at this link: www.facebook.com/DuesenbergMotors/posts/530219567055625:0
Hope this will enable further scholarship/research on all aspects of this topic. Have a pleasant Sunday, Jack Richards #1080 at Chesterfield, Missouri.

Time to create page: 0.419 seconds