Skip to main content

Travelling Hoods

More
20 Feb 2005 21:04 #2889 by Terry
Replied by Terry on topic Hood hinge
Thanks Jim ! I have the same problem on my 654 phaeton I will try when weather warms up. Terry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jim Beauchamp
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
03 Feb 2005 20:58 #2813 by Jim Beauchamp
Replied by Jim Beauchamp on topic Travelling Hoods
It's too cold right now for me to go out, look at my car, and refresh my memory - so here's the best I can remember.

There is a 'wavy' piece of metal that mounts under the hood-hinge mounting caps. The 'wave' in the center of this piece contacts the hood halves' rolled hinge. This piece of metal can be slid fore-and-aft independently of the mounting caps because it has enlarged holes for the mounting bolts. You can move the front one (on the radiator shell) towards the rear of car and 'push' the hood backward or you can move the rear one (on the cowl) forward to 'push' the hood forward. The object is to position these two so the hood is centered to avoid overlapping the radiator shell or the cowl. good luck, Jim B

• Jan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
19 Jan 2005 07:28 #2725 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic Travelling Hoods
Hi, I have used my 851 now for 15 years and I have always tried to
manually adjust the hood to a kind of middle position as long as it is open and that has put it in a position with the same distance both to
front and rear sheet metal on cowl and grill when closed. /Jan Linderholm

• Frank Guzik
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
18 Jan 2005 00:05 #2722 by Frank Guzik
Replied by Frank Guzik on topic Travelling Hoods
John, I would venture that no one has a solution other than be careful. I for one do open my hood in the winter. Frank

Frank Guzik
1931 Auburn 898-A
Auburn IN

• John Trittschuh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
17 Jan 2005 11:11 #2720 by John Trittschuh
Replied by John Trittschuh on topic Travelling Hoods
Hi Mark,
No one has answered the question. I guess it is not a problem for anyone else. Or maybe they are not opening their hoods now that it is winter and the cars are all stored away. Out of sight, out of mind.

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
16 Jan 2005 21:41 #2718 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic hoods
John: Did you come up with any solution for your hood? I have the same problem. I was thinking some kind of spacer may work.
Mark

• John Trittschuh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
29 Oct 2004 11:22 #2425 by John Trittschuh
Travelling Hoods was created by John Trittschuh
I love the long hoods on my Auburns but I do a lot of tinkering under them and am annoyed that the hoods seem to move around a lot both backward and forward on opening and closing them. Of course, then, this leads to pinching of the metal and chipping of the paint. What was done in the '30s to prevent this and is it just a wear issue or can I put some kind of shim in to stop this? I have adjusted the radiator surround so that there is good clearance when the hood wings are centered front to back.