1933 8101A Water temperature sensor in head

• Thom
  • Thom's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
17 Jun 2018 20:08 #34770 by Thom
Thom created the topic: 1933 8101A Water temperature sensor in head
To my club friends, thanks for your help with the head bolts. About 80 ft/lbs was all it took to loosen them to get the bolts out. I am cleaning the water passages in the head and block. To be safe, I need to also remove the water temperature sensor . The small nut came out without any problems. Now the 7/8 inch bolt is giving me a run for my money. Does anyone one know if the sensor in the block is held in place by the large bolt or does it provide a smooth surface and guide for the sensor to sit in? Can the sensor come out of the block with the 7/8 bolt left in place? I have been spraying PB blaster both around the nut at the head and inside the cavity hoping to get it apart. Once again, thanks for any guidance. Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2018 20:34 #34771 by RandyEma
RandyEma replied the topic: 1933 8101A Water temperature sensor in head
The sensor (bulb) is held in by the first nut and seats in the 7/8 nut .Goooood luck getting it out, if you break the line connection there are people that rebuild them. R
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thom

• Thom
  • Thom's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
09 Jul 2018 00:38 #34927 by Thom
Thom replied the topic: 1933 8101A Water temperature sensor in head
Randy, Thanks for advice on the bulb. Using a heat gun to apply heat to the head above the large 7/8 nut and a 7/8 flare wrench, I was able to loosen the nut to finger tightness. For over a week, I have been spraying the bulb with anything I could think of to break the "seal" onto the nut. No luck. Now, with the large nut finger tight, I was able to carefully , with the slack in the copper tube, position it to allow me to turn the nut with my fingers and get it out. Fortunately, the nut was not into the head too far and about a 3/4 turn of it was all it took to remove it. I have found that brake cleaner spray works wonders in cleaning long time use of Barr's Stop Leak off the bulb and inside of the water jacket. Thanks to the club for all their input in helping me with this project of cleaning out the cooling chambers. It would have been much harder without your support. For anyone interested, my car was featured in the April 2017 issue 151 of "Classic Car" magazine, Driveabledream article. Thanks again, Thom

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds