8-105 Replacement Options

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
07 Jun 2018 16:29 #34735 by curtiss
Replied by curtiss on topic 8-105 Replacement Options
Thanks, the Belzona 1111 is JB Weld like but seems a little stronger. I have applied that but now I am having a small amount of seepage around one valve guide. A few people have recommended coating the inside areas with Irontite Ceramic sealer then run the All Weather in the system. So this will be my next attempt to save this block :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
06 Jun 2018 11:45 #34727 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic 8-105 Replacement Options
I used JB weld, (a similar product) on a water jacket crack, and so far it has held up for 10 years.
The crack I had was 18" long, just below the sideplate cover. I made sure it was media blasted first, inn order to have a clean surface.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Jun 2018 07:13 #34719 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 8-105 Replacement Options
Belzona is a great product. Hope you talked with their reps about what they felt would give the best results. I have used it in the steam turbine process in power plants for years. It's an amazing product.

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Jun 2018 00:37 #34718 by curtiss
Replied by curtiss on topic 8-105 Replacement Options
Thanks, the pinning method is defiantly out, the metal is too thin to thread in the water jacket and and the area is too hard to get a drill and tap into. I have also looked into spray welding but can not find anyone remotely near us and when they do that they have to heat the whole block which means my babbot came bearing will melt and that would need to be re-poured.

I purchased some Belzona 1111 metal epoxy and I applied it this morning and I just went down and took a spare blob I kept and whacked it with a hammer and this stuff is very tough. I am going to let it dry a day or two and see how it is once it totally cures. My issue it is very near where the valve spring is and I am worried about structure holding up.

More
03 Jun 2018 21:33 - 03 Jun 2018 21:35 #34717 by xjn001
Last edit: 03 Jun 2018 21:35 by xjn001.

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Jun 2018 17:26 - 03 Jun 2018 17:29 #34715 by curtiss
8-105 Replacement Options was created by curtiss
It is looking like my 8-105 block with the crack in the water jacket may not be able to be salvaged because the metal is so thin so I am looking for options.

The car is a 1933 with what I believe to be an 8-105 so I am interested in understanding what other engines may fit as a replacement if I can not find another 8-105. Also would be interested to see if anyone knows where one might be available.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2018 17:29 by curtiss.