Skip to main content

31 Auburn Spinner Removal

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
27 Nov 2020 17:11 #41603 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic 31 Auburn Spinner Removal
As to if you have them on wrong side - mixed up - you can match photos on internet to their car verses your car.

JMM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
27 Nov 2020 14:58 #41601 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic 31 Auburn Spinner Removal
The knock-off's are brass, there shouldn't any rust. There are special pullers
out there to remove the drums.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
26 Nov 2020 17:53 #41584 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic 31 Auburn Spinner Removal
You need a large lead hammer - get one from Dayton Wire Wheel or ebay via search term: knock off hammer

Those big rubber dead blow hammers are THE WRONG TOOL and basically on the flipside leave year wheels unsafely installed too. Also, start penetrating oil too. Then when you reinstall you want to use some anti-seize compound to prevent rust on parts.

JMM

• Daviddu45
  • Registered
More
26 Nov 2020 00:35 #41575 by Daviddu45
Replied by Daviddu45 on topic 31 Auburn Spinner Removal
I am working on a 32 Auburn. I had no help in getting the spinners off. They would not budge with a dead blow hammer. I made a aluminum frame that i hit with a big hammer. This got them loose and off. Hit the round side of the ears. It is broken due to hitting it hard and the weld broke. Hope this helps someone.
Attachments:

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
18 Mar 2018 04:57 #34331 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic 31 Auburn Spinner Removal
If the left rear KO says right side some one has installed the hubs on the wrong side. It would not be possible to put a right spinner on a left hub. Which means that the other hubs are probably on the wrong side also, or they didn't have two rights and two lefts and installed one incorrectly. They should come off with out heat if you are turning them the right direction.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
The following user(s) said Thank You: pwrightII

More
18 Mar 2018 02:23 #34329 by DavidK
Replied by DavidK on topic 31 Auburn Spinner Removal
The flat edge on the wing of the knock off is where you strike it for tightening. You might be able to see in a good factory photo, which way the knock offs go. With the wing straight up and down, the flat edge on the upper wing should be on the back side ( for either side). You probably already know this but it might help someone else reading the forums.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
18 Mar 2018 00:06 #34327 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 31 Auburn Spinner Removal
Heating them up probably will work but please know there are limits to heating. Get a temp stick any any good welding supply business. Get a 225 degree temp stick. As you heat an item you use the temp stick like a pencel and just rub it on the heated surface. It melts when you reach desired temps. Never heat bearings or other such materials past 250 degrees.That changes the hardness of the material heated. you also do not want to see a color change in what is to be heated. May want to use a quality penatrant oil too. My cjhoice has been Aerokroil for the past 45 years. Sometimes I heat something up. then cool it with the spray. then reheat and so on. this allows the kroil to wick into the tight threads. It has NEVER failed me...

• pwrightII
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 Mar 2018 22:56 #34326 by pwrightII
31 Auburn Spinner Removal was created by pwrightII
Im still trying to remove the spinners from my 31 Auburn. It appears that somewhere along the line someone has changed the hubs. The only knock-off on the car that has legible lettering is on the left rear and it says RIGHT SIDE (from sitting in the drivers seat). Now the problem is, if the hubs are mixed up I have no idea which direction to try to spin them off. In addition, I have tried for hours to get them to move in either direction with absolutely no luck. I'm thinking I might try heating them with a torch and if that doesnt work, I'm afraid I'll have to resort to cutting them off. Any other ideas? Thanks, Pete
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S