1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation

More
04 Mar 2018 13:17 #34251 by Curt Schulze
Curt Schulze replied the topic: 1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation
You want to stay with a 32 or 33 rear diff. The 34-36 will pose more problems. I have done it.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WinAuBurn
  • WinAuBurn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
04 Mar 2018 15:20 #34253 by WinAuBurn
WinAuBurn replied the topic: 1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation
Thanks Mike. Thanks Curt. Apologies for the noobie questions, since we have not taken delivery of the car yet, what maximum cruising or top end speed can we expect for the current single stage diff assuming everything is running well?

More
04 Mar 2018 16:33 #34254 by RandyEma
RandyEma replied the topic: 1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation
Hello. Around 45 to 50 depending on gear ratio . Randy

More
04 Mar 2018 17:03 #34255 by Brad Hoskins
Brad Hoskins replied the topic: 1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation
Greg Frownfelter was the fellow doing the Ford 9" conversion but, sadly, he passed away about 2 years ago . I'm not sure if anyone has taken over Greg's operation..
Another option would to do an overdrive conversion There are a number of posts over on the AACA forum on that issue. I'm not sure of how difficult it would be to to an Auburn.
With Auburn's open driveshaft , the conversion should only require a couple of new driveshafts .and should be easily reversible to put it back to stock if one wanted to go back to original.
Only issue might be the the X-member. getting in the way of mounting.
Anyone tried overdrive on the 31-33 Auburns?

Brad

31 8-98 cabriolet

• WinAuBurn
  • WinAuBurn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
04 Mar 2018 18:26 #34258 by WinAuBurn
WinAuBurn replied the topic: 1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation
Thanks Randy & Brad. A speed of 45 - 50mph does sound marginal for our purposes. Anything we do would need to be reversible. Options on the table so far seem to be 1) Fit a '32 or '33 2 speed axle and controls - does anybody have one or have any suggestions on where to find one? 2) Explore the overdrive option mentioned by Brad - comments welcome, or 3) Investigate Greg's legacy work on the Ford conversion idea.

I do see an Auburn '35 2 speed axle for sale on the bay, but duly note Curt's comments not to go there with a '31.

All other thoughts welcome.

More
04 Mar 2018 19:19 #34259 by Brad Hoskins
Brad Hoskins replied the topic: 1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation
When I spoke with Greg about doing the Ford 9" conversion , it was running around $1800 but that was the full package including installiation. He made an adapter plate that fit on the pumpkin and had a jig to set it up. It also required some axle modification which I wasn't crazy about as I like to be able to reverse any mods I do to the vehicle .

The 31's had three rear end ratios available but I think 90% of the cars had the low speed rear ends. I thought about having a new high speed gear set made but that isn't cheap either!

Of course my car seems stuck in static display mode and therefore goes just as fast with any of those options:(

Here's a link to an good AACA discussion on overdrives vs 2 speed v new ring and pinion.
forums.aaca.org/topic/300879-high-speed-...ents#comment-1674204
It involves Packards which always seems to lead to some very opinionated comments , unlike us laid back ACD people!

Nice car BTW!

31 8-98 cabriolet

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds