1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation

More
06 Mar 2018 06:55 #34269 by Brad Hoskins
Brad Hoskins replied the topic: 1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation
Mike

Don't get me started on this 'new' forum format and functionality ; it is terrible.!!!

I've had the same thing happen to me (timing out) several times.
I find if you log back in, go the the post you were replying to and , from the 'Action ' menu select 'Reply' again , you will find that you post is still there . As usual, you have to expand the dialog box to see anything.
I never use 'quick reply 'as the functionality is horrible. so I do not know if that works with 'quick reply' or not.

I'd love to see your post!!!!

Brad

31 8-98 cabriolet
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikespeed35

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jonathan Richards
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
06 Mar 2018 23:32 #34273 by Jonathan Richards
Jonathan Richards replied the topic: Quick Reply Timeout Frustration
Hello, Mike, I can identify with your frustration at the Quick Reply feature "timing out". This is apparently not designed for windbags like you and me who want to write essays. When they say "Quick" they mean it. Oh, Well. Best Wishes, Jack Richards.

• WinAuBurn
  • WinAuBurn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
07 Mar 2018 21:39 #34275 by WinAuBurn
WinAuBurn replied the topic: 1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation
Mike, I don't know how to contact you. Sent a PM for a telephone number request. Could not find a membership directory on the site either. Thanks for any tips on the GV solution in advance, I did send an enquiry to them but have not heard back yet.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
09 Mar 2018 05:48 #34279 by mikespeed35
mikespeed35 replied the topic: 1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation
Phone number is 1-616-669-0046.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• WinAuBurn
  • WinAuBurn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
09 Mar 2018 20:58 #34280 by WinAuBurn
WinAuBurn replied the topic: 1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation
I thought I would summarize my conversation with Mike and also a follow up call I had with Gear Vendors. Mike has accomplished some trouble free impressive distances with these cars, 8,600 miles for one tour is amazing. We are trying for 2,200 miles and seek 60 mph+ (unfortunately, we don’t have Mike’s Speedster Schwitzer Cummins supercharger – unless, somebody would like to donate one to us for the cause?)

Mike, please feel free to correct or comment on my summary.

So, the big concern with the GV and probably many overdrive solutions is the longer gearing can be a big step up for the engine to pull. In the GV case it is a ratio of 1:.778, Mike’s practical experience is this was too much for a 45HP car he ran. In addition, Mike had issues with the O/D kicking out downhill. Noted the O/D also does not operate in reverse. Mike’s older unit was 12V only.

We talked again about the Auburn 2-speed axle but it seems finding a ’32-’33 with controls, never mind ensuring it’s integrity is almost impossible. The ‘34+ 2-speed axles are out, too many complications with brakes etc.

On to my call with GV. They now provide a 6V setup for vintage cars like ours, the unit is inline about 20” long and 6 ½” diameter. They do come with standard 8” brackets but those would need to be modified for the X-frame. Also provided is a 2-wire switch for the unit but this could be changed as needed. Losses from the unit while engaged are claimed at 2HP and negligible to zero when disengaged – not too bad, but of course that is nearly 5% on a 45HP car. The O/D stays locked in during uphill or downhill (wonder if Mike’s unit was faulty). Does not operate in reverse gear and should not be operated below 15mph. Price as of writing is $2,995, delivery 3-7 days. Obviously we would need to fabricate new shafts (keep original) and the brackets for the install.

So is 98HP enough to pull the GV O/D in 3rd. Maybe? One thought here is that Auburn introduced the 2-speed axle as an optional upgrade for the ’32-’33 model years but this was still the same 98HP engine on the base car. That’s longer gearing. Also, the steeldraulic brakes remained on the car.

All options considered, we are willing to try the GV solution. Once we have delivery of the car we’ll check all the dimensions before proceeding with the plan. Will keep you informed.

Sorry for the long response, hope it was helpful. Thanks all. And thanks Mike.

More
11 Mar 2018 01:21 #34282 by Brad Hoskins
Brad Hoskins replied the topic: 1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation
ColinBob

I don't think that the GV overdrive is going to be a problem from a HP perspective. If my read of the literature is correct, The GV at 1:.778 is still a higher (???? I always get confused on which way to call it!) final drive than factory two speed rear end at 1: .666 ( if my math is correct)

The bigger problem might be trying to get the overdrive in there! The free wheel unit already adds considerable length to the transmission and makes for a short driveshaft to start with . Getting drive shaft angles correct could be fun. Did GV say if you could save adding a second driveshaft by bolting up to the tranny or is that just too much hanging off the back?

Feel free to double check my 'speed' math as I was winging it. I used 2300 RPM as that is what Mike suggested and it seemed a pretty reasonable target for these long stroke engines.

BTW Just so you know, I don't think the drive shaft in your car is original to start with so don't get hung up on making changes My understanding is that the originals were a ball and trunnion design. They did not fair well if not perfectly maintained and there are no more parts available , which is why most are now converted to a Spicer joint like yours.

Brad

31 8-98 cabriolet

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds