Skip to main content

Cracked Cylinder head

More
04 Oct 2004 23:01 #2316 by cordman
Replied by cordman on topic Have a head
Hi Jojn,

I have an extra cast iron head available if you are interested...

Contact me at: <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

Regards,

Hal Bjorklund

Hal Bjorklund

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• John Trittschuh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
29 Sep 2004 01:04 #2295 by John Trittschuh
Replied by John Trittschuh on topic Cracked Cylinder head
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Looks like the best thing is to find a new reproduction or old intact head. Will look for either. I'm having the car repainted now so this is a good time to replace it with the hood off.

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
28 Sep 2004 21:39 #2294 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic RE: Cracked Head
John-

Only a couple of solutions. Either replace it, have it welded, or fill the cracks with overlapping threaded twist off fasteners. I would think there are used heads available.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• PushnFords
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
23 Sep 2004 14:24 #2265 by PushnFords
Replied by PushnFords on topic Cylinder Head Repair
Aluminum Heads: Best to try and weld these up. You'll need a good welder. The aluminum in these old castings is poor quality and hard to weld. Might take a try or two to get it right.

Cast Iron Heads: They make tapered plug screws that work good. You drill a hole at the end of the crack, tap it, and screw in the tapered plug until it breaks off. Grind it flat and repeat. Overlap the first screw by half - drill right where the screw meets the head. By overlaping the screws they will be locked into place.

If you can get a used head that is guaranteed to not be cracked the it will be the best way to go. I'd have it magnafluxed before you put it on though.

Derek

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
22 Sep 2004 23:58 #2263 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Cracked Cylinder head
John: I had the same problem with a 27 Ford several years ago. I tried having it repaired to no avail. I ended up purchasing a reproduction head for it, which worked like a charm. If a new head is available for your car, this would be the best solution, in my opinion. Mark

• John Trittschuh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
21 Sep 2004 21:10 #2257 by John Trittschuh
Cracked Cylinder head was created by John Trittschuh
I have noticed a hairline crack in the Cylinder head of my '31 Auburn sedan 898A. It's above the 3rd and 4th spark plug area with only a slight amount of antifreeze leaking out. Car is missing out on higher revs under load when engine is cold and improves when hotter. Is the engine swelling and sealing this crack when hot? What do I do with this crack? Can it be welded/repaired. From inside and outside? Anyone with experience with this matter?