• ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
04 Oct 2004 21:35 #2315 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic RE: Body ID Plate
Serial Number: 33168E
Engine Number: GH4438
Body Number: A35-311

These should be your body numbers and stamped with characters 1/2" tall in the RH main wood sill as per the info. sheet that we sent you.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kevin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
04 Oct 2004 17:18 #2313 by Kevin
Replied by Kevin on topic Body Identifacation plate
Thanks Stan,

All four door hinges are stamped 311, I will continue to look for other markings on the top cover parts.

How large were the numbers stamped on the wood sill? I want to re-stamp those after I verify that the 311 is correct.

Thanks again.

Kevin

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
28 Sep 2004 21:19 #2291 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic RE: Body ID Plate
Kevin-

Sometimes these Speedsters had the serial number or part of it stamped into the chrome door hinges, backside, or the top lid wood or hinges to keep these parts associated with the same body during buildup.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Kevin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Sep 2004 00:50 #2262 by Kevin
Replied by Kevin on topic Body Identifacation plate
Thanks again Stan,

Yes, the car was in California for over 50 years. Was purchased in Colorado two years ago.

During the 70s restoration of the car, there was alot of work done on the sills to stiffen the body as the wood deteriorated. They welded 1/2' plate to the rear door piller braces and extended them into the sill. Also they sectioned plywood over some of the bad areas as needed, to try to do a "quick fix". I was very careful to preserve what was left and most of the old wood was useful for patterns, but there are no numbers visable in the wood that remained. Any information on the location and correct stamp size would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Kevin

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
21 Sep 2004 19:54 #2254 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Body ID Plate
Kevin-

Engine number: GH4438
Serial number: 33168

No Central Body Number on a Speedster. It's stamped in the wood sill. This car was owned in California a short time ago.

Stan

• Kevin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 Sep 2004 21:45 #2242 by Kevin
Body Identifacation plate was created by Kevin
I have a somewhat related problem as bricks. I am restoring a 1935 851 Auburn Boattail. The car was restored in the 70s and many important original components were lost, including the Vehicle Identification Plate and Central Manufacturing Plate. I do have the number from the title which is GH 4438.

I was wondering if someone has any information concerning the car. I have obtained a reproduction Vehicle ID plate, as well as the Central Body Plate, but now need the correct numbers to stamp on them.

If that can be assertained using the number on the title it would be very helpful.

Thank you,

Kevin