Front Brake Adjustments

More
21 Dec 2016 15:20 #32075 by Rlamb10769
Rlamb10769 replied the topic: Front Brake Adjustments
Curt,
Got my service manual out and readjusted my brakes as per instructions. I had my brakes to tight, what I forgot was the block of wood under the pedal and clockwise to tighten and counter to loosen. My brakes are much better now but still squeaks, not sure how to fix that.

Richard

Richard Lambert
ACD #3371

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2016 17:01 #32076 by Curt Schulze
Curt Schulze replied the topic: Front Brake Adjustments
Richard, my comment was directed in reference to the ease of use of this website. But it is also true of the brake adjustment.
I will be doing this soon myself soon, how thick is the block of wood under the pedal. I do know the correct adjustment wrench to turn the little brass wheel goes a long way to eliminate frustration.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

More
21 Dec 2016 17:16 #32077 by Rlamb10769
Hi Curt,
Three inch block, the drag on the front a little more then rear.
Merry Christmas
Richard

Richard Lambert
ACD #3371

More
21 Dec 2016 20:39 #32081 by Rlamb10769
Found the solution to the squeakey brakes problem.
The product is CRC de-squeak. I took all four drums off and spray costed the contact surfaces in the drums. I drove it around the block, start and stop at least ten times and not a sound.
I would have bet you money this would not have worked, boy was I surprised.
Richard

Richard Lambert
ACD #3371

More
23 Dec 2016 20:23 #32094 by Mike Dube
Mike Dube replied the topic: Front Brake Adjustments
As all have said, you can't cut corners on this job. The factory service bulletins which came later also mention using a different gauge (usually a drill bit) to set shoe to drum clearance on one of the front wheels. Without digging them out , not sure now whether its the left front left a skosh looser, or the right slightly tighter. The effect is that any 'pulling' that occurs is away from oncoming traffic.

Mike
8-100A

More
23 Dec 2016 21:25 #32097 by Curt Schulze
Curt Schulze replied the topic: Front Brake Adjustments
There is a up and down and a fore and aft adjustment. There is a window on the brake drum that a .020 feeler gauge is inserted to insure the 'gap' is the same all the way around. This is in addition to the adjuster wheel. The same principal as the 34-36 cars except they are not hydraulic.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds