Skip to main content

COPPER LINES

• curtiss
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
24 Aug 2016 00:56 #31588 by curtiss
Replied by curtiss on topic Re: COPPER LINES

Rlamb10769 wrote: To clear or not to clear is the question.
In your opinion what is the best way to keep the lines from tarnishing?

Richard

Auburn Restoration3 037.jpg

Richard, I have seen two different engine greens, yours look more like what we have now. Can you tell me the color code or where you got it at?

The engine looks awesome!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
22 Aug 2016 18:53 #31581 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Re: COPPER LINES
Cool PIX John ! Sometimes it is who you are and not so much the car as evidenced by one 35 phaeton that was at Amelia a couple of years ago. We both know the car. I have the opposite problem, they keep contacting me and I have an ongoing excuse as to why I can't get there. I think a couple of them are a bit p'd off. For me the ACD reunion is where it is at.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
22 Aug 2016 18:29 #31580 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Re: COPPER LINES
Getting onto an Amelia Island show field (or any Concours for that matter) gets harder by the year - the quality of cars get higher and higher. You do not necessarily have to have a 100 pointer, but for the most part you do have to have something that is pretty on the money as to authenticity in restoration. This is a photo out of the family album - it is pretty close to the colors you are choosing.

JMM
Attachments:

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
22 Aug 2016 11:23 #31579 by Curt Schulze
The 898 Coupe that I am working on is very original. The above pix of the oil filler tube from that car.
There is no black under the green, on the cap or the tube. Dave K. in Cal. found the same thing on his low mile survivor 8-100 cabriolet. FWIW

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
22 Aug 2016 04:53 #31578 by johnmereness
My opinion with the 1935 - 1936 oil fills were that they were black from manufacturer, but painted green upon assembly of engine by Lycoming - and then the green peeled off,

Tuesday Update: I saw dad's 1935 engine today (they are getting ready to drop it in car - it now has a green oil fill, cap, dipstick, and ... - I was asked why it had not been done it properly (I laughed and replied I have been frying other fish and .....). When it was restored the first time they used the old restoration standards - it has taken a small army of us really looking over unrestored cars with a magnifying glass to figure out what is proper and ... - and we still learn something new once a week or so.

JMM

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
22 Aug 2016 04:50 #31577 by johnmereness
Keep trying with Amelia Island - they have a huge number of applications (it very well have been a space thing verses they do not like your car). That beings said, cars that do not have period "look" will knock you off the plate.

Steve Snyder in California may have the tags via CCCA project, www.vaultcars.com

Vivian Levine via Levine Restorations in Indiana (Pulpher & Williams) is a solid choice as well

www.brillman.com/assets/images/ ... og_416.pdf

JMM

• Rlamb10769
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Aug 2016 22:35 #31571 by Rlamb10769
Replied by Rlamb10769 on topic Re: COPPER LINES

Curt Schulze wrote: You are right Mark, it does look good ! So does chrome. When we do these cars, we can build them any way we want, after all they are our cars. I wouldn't have mentioned it, but Richard seems to be trying to build his car as authentic as possible. If he is planning on getting his car judged, it is a couple less checks on the score card.

Hello Kurt,
You are correct I am trying to restore it as correct as I can but that is not the only goal I want.
Last year I restored a 31 355A Cadillac and it got 100 pt. at a concourse show and was a senior award winner at an AACA show but this car did not get an invitation to Amelia Island Concourse.
So my goal being I live in Florida is to get an invite to Amelia Island in March.
This is the reason I am restoring this Auburn, so what I am saying is it might have some small things not correct but like ilikescars said, it looks nice. Yes someday I want to come to Auburn in September but Amelia Island is my first goal.
Regards
Richard

Richard Lambert
ACD #3371
Attachments:

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
20 Aug 2016 12:43 #31568 by Curt Schulze
Yes, some of the s/c heater lines and fittings were cad. You should start a new thread for this Mark, we don't want to hijack Richards.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
20 Aug 2016 12:03 #31567 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Re: COPPER LINES
Has anyone ever authenticated the copper lines having cad plating on them?

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
20 Aug 2016 11:42 #31566 by Curt Schulze
You are right Mark, it does look good ! So does chrome. When we do these cars, we can build them any way we want, after all they are our cars. I wouldn't have mentioned it, but Richard seems to be trying to build his car as authentic as possible. If he is planning on getting his car judged, it is a couple less checks on the score card.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
20 Aug 2016 01:04 #31565 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Re: COPPER LINES
You have to admit that the black filler tube and the cad plated oil cap have a nice contrast to them, even though they may be incorrect

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
19 Aug 2016 11:39 #31561 by Curt Schulze
When purchasing tags be sure they are embossed. Contact Vivian LaVine in Indiana, LaVines are in the ACD directory. The dipstick, oil filler tube, and cap was green from the factory. the dipstick should have an 'S' on the top. The oil filter has a Pur O Lator decal. Note, the oil filler tube and cap are incorrect on the oil filter pix. That is also a 35-36 engine.

I found a pix of the original oil filter that was on my 898

Be of Good Cheer
Curt
Attachments:

• Rlamb10769
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
19 Aug 2016 11:21 #31560 by Rlamb10769
Thanks John for all the information, I can use all the help as I am new to Auburns.
Question; There are big differences in prices on EBay for the plates, some have a painted split and others are solid where the numbers go. Are 6V different from 12V?

Richard

Richard Lambert
ACD #3371

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
19 Aug 2016 05:28 #31558 by johnmereness
Also, If doing AACA, CCA, or ACD, you should paint the base of the spark plug with satin black (they were originally gun blued or something similar in finish)

JMM

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
19 Aug 2016 05:24 #31557 by johnmereness
Curt, his rivets go into the case and will have a spiral drive screw just like we have on the 1935 for the Startix plate on the steering column

I actually have had good luck reused all my original drive screws - get under them with a really sharp miniature wire clippers and start prying (keep in mind they are spiral so do not pry out all at one time)

The Bijur will have a split rivet.

You may have to enlarge the wholes a little in the repro plate - I do with a miniature file as they are pretty delicate. I also put a little double sided tape under the plate - keeps them from rattling if by accident you do not get them to sit tight. Also pre arc them prior to installation (they may be reproduced flat, but tour generator and are curved.

Curt does a beautiful job stamping plates :)

JMM

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
17 Aug 2016 12:44 #31549 by Curt Schulze
Mike Samson has the Bijur tag. Search eBay for Delco tag, there are plenty. I have a stamping fixture and the stamps with the old style font. Use split rivets for installing them. I have been a 34-36 guy for the past 20+ years, but recently brought home a 31 coupe for a different kind of challenge.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Rlamb10769
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 Aug 2016 11:31 #31548 by Rlamb10769
Thanks John for the reply.
The lower clamp has not been tighten because when I put the rediator shell on it will need to be adjusted to get the correct gap on the hood.
How do you attach the new emblems with the old ones riveted?

Richard

Richard Lambert
ACD #3371

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
17 Aug 2016 02:56 #31547 by johnmereness
That is a good looking engine.

I assume the lower hose clamp on the upper radiator hose loose - the cast iron neck I do not think is that long to seal .....

You may want to consider new starter, generator, and distributor tags - Not sure about 31, but Curt has them for 34-36 (maybe he has sourced for his own 32)

The Bijur tank lid emblem should also be available via fitting Packards.

JMM

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
17 Aug 2016 02:51 #31546 by johnmereness
I agree with Curt and I personally have regretted everything I have ever cleared under a hood. Periodically I clean everything brass up with Never Dull www.nevrdull.com

JMM

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
16 Aug 2016 22:50 #31544 by Curt Schulze
Build it the way the factory lineman did it no better, no worse.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Rlamb10769
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 Aug 2016 21:20 #31543 by Rlamb10769
COPPER LINES was created by Rlamb10769
To clear or not to clear is the question.
In your opinion what is the best way to keep the lines from tarnishing?

Richard

Richard Lambert
ACD #3371
Attachments: