Skip to main content

Top Instructions for Auburn 851 Phaeton? Help!

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
30 Jun 2019 16:36 - 30 Jun 2019 16:37 #37626 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Re: Top Instructions for Auburn 851 Phaeton? Help!
The secret to getting top to fold low AGAIN IS: The top pads cannot be nailed to the bow that crosses over between the center door posts. The bow has a tack trip in it, but that is because of how they made the part and not anything else. Every single time I have ever helped someone put the top down we have had to pull out the staples (or nails) from the center bow between the center door posts - I see issue time and time again.

JMM
Last edit: 30 Jun 2019 16:37 by johnmereness.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2019 18:26 #37623 by [email protected]
John, I appreciate your detailed instructions. It would be a real trick for one person to put the top down. Thanks for the help.
Vic Trino

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
29 Jun 2019 16:54 - 30 Jun 2019 16:15 #37622 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Re: Top Instructions for Auburn 851 Phaeton? Help!
I have been putting ours down as follows:
Roll down the windows
Open rear doors to point of being unlatched
Unsnap the top on both sides.
Fold the rear window down into the top well/tray
Remove all the upper thumb screws around the center door pillars, but leave the lower pillar screw in and leave posts on. Loosen the windshield thumbscrews.
Lift top over the windshield pins
Scissor top to inside and pull all fabric up and out of way, while a person is on right and a person is on left side of car
There is a note about pads being nailed to center cross bow - if nailed to you will never get it to fold right.
Slide the top mechanism from sides to then be in the middle and ... behind the major bow at rear doors.
Reach in and unlatch landau irons and then fold the rear of top.
Wrap the mechanism that is at center door posts which is now in center of the pile of top (ie lots of little sharp points around this area).
Install boot
Remove the center pillars (I leave them in until end as if you get stuck in process you can gently rest mechanism on a post while figuring out your geometry.
Store all top thunbscrews parts in glove box or rear door pockets
You probably need a bag for the center posts - they are hollow and dent easily. (I store in trunk and do not recall if they fit in glovebox or not).

Up is the reverse and just be careful not to force anything and you have to watch close

By the way, the top was designed to be one man put down - (that is Curt's factory instructions and it can be done).

JMM
Last edit: 30 Jun 2019 16:15 by johnmereness.

More
25 Jun 2019 12:20 #37596 by [email protected]
Thank you for seeing my message. The boot that came with the car did not match the pattern for the original. We have had a new boot made and will follow these instructions when using it.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
25 Jun 2019 11:31 #37595 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Re: Top Instructions for Auburn 851 Phaeton? Help!
here you go.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt
Attachments:

More
24 Jun 2019 17:50 #37589 by [email protected]
i have recently purchased a 1935 851 Phaeton. i see that you were able to obtain instructions for putting the top down. Could you please forward them to me as well?
Vic Trino

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
17 Jul 2016 16:02 - 29 Jun 2019 16:41 #31387 by johnmereness
The secret to getting it to fold relatively flat is to not nail or staple the top pads to the center box that crosses between the center door post (hinge pillar). Upholsterers see that the bow has a tack strip in it and then go nail the pads to such (it has a tack strip only because they made all the bows the same - not to tack to it). The center bow slides behind the rear door pillar bow when you put the top down - ie the pad would not allow this functionality if nailed to the center door post bow.

Also, I find it easier to leave the center door posts in the car when putting the top down - gives you a place to sit it when you bind something up.

And, takes 2 people (one on each side) - and a trained monkey.

Also, the mechanism around the center door post has plenty of sharp corners - I wrap in a towel when down (this would be in the area of enter of back seat when down).

JMM
Last edit: 29 Jun 2019 16:41 by johnmereness.

• Auburn Bill
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 Jul 2016 16:56 #31349 by Auburn Bill
Replied by Auburn Bill on topic Re: Top Instructions for Auburn 851 Phaeton? Help!
Curt, I really appreciate your scans about the instruction. I will work on it today. I am printing it out.

Bill in Atlanta

1920 Cadillac Touring Car
1935 Auburn 8-851 Phaeton
1933 Packard Victoria convertible
1947 Lincoln Continental convertible

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
04 Jul 2016 11:33 #31347 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Re: Top Instructions for Auburn 851 Phaeton? Help!
I'll call you later today.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Auburn Bill
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 Jul 2016 10:30 #31346 by Auburn Bill
"Raising and lowering the top is defined in Cord service bulletin no. 46 dated Aug. 19,1936. 10 easy steps to raise, 11 to put it down, pictures included, a total of 3 pages. It has also been covered in some of the earlier books on the 810/812." Do we have anything for the Phaeton 4dr convertible?

Where may I find this? I am trying to lower the top on our 1935 Auburn 8-851 Phaeton. The entire crew of the Cirque du Soleil would not be able to lower/raise this top without instructions!!!!

Bill in Atlanta

1920 Cadillac Touring Car
1935 Auburn 8-851 Phaeton
1933 Packard Victoria convertible
1947 Lincoln Continental convertible