Skip to main content

8-98 Lycoming Operating Temp

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
29 Jun 2016 03:57 #31317 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Re: 8-98 Lycoming Operating Temp
They should run about 160. You probably have multiple problems. For one thing you have a unknown dist. By that I mean you don't know how many degrees it advances or retards. Is the dist. made to rotate the direction your Auburn motor needs or is rotating backwards? If it is rotating backwards it would not advance. Get the proper dist. Is your water pump impeller turning? Shaft can be turning but not impeller. Is your lower radiator hose collapsing? Does it have a spring inside? Is your radiator and block clean? Are you using water with anti corrosion inhibitor or antifreeze? Water cools better. Is your timing set correctly? Is the TDC mark actually at TDC? Alum. radiator will only try to cover up your other problems and probably not solve anything other than emptying your wallet. Good luck. Dist. would be most likely culprit in my opinion.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
27 Jun 2016 15:15 #31304 by curtiss
Replied by curtiss on topic Re: 8-98 Lycoming Operating Temp
OK, I tried something yesterday and I got some strange results.

It was about 80 degrees out and I disconnected and plugged the vacuum advance port in the manifold. We took it for a drive through the neighborhood and when we were cruising at 25 it ran 205 or 210, when we were under load up hill it dropped to 195 but when we were down shifting going down hill under no load it ran back up to 210-212.

I checked the vacuum set up on the distributor and it looks like at full vacuum it retards the ignition. I have had some guys look at it and say it should not have full manifold vacuum so I am looking for some guidance form anyone who is familiar with this conversion.

I am still thinking it has something to do with the timing but have not ruled out a radiator issue.

Has anyone had a custom radiator built with extra cores for cooling capacity or aluminum technology?

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
24 Jun 2016 13:57 #31294 by curtiss
8-98 Lycoming Operating Temp was created by curtiss
I am new to this non-pressurized radiator stuff so here are my questions?

- What should the typical operating temp be (like 90 to 95 degree day)

- Should the car be able to idle at a stand still for extended periods without exceeding 212?

- Has anyone messed with changing the fan out for one that pulls more air?

We have not driving the car yet, I have just been testing it at a stand still idle. My first attempt is it ran for about 15 to 20 mins at about 80 degrees then finally crept up to 210 and I turned it off. I figured out I have the temp sensitive front grill but the mechanism was not hooked up and the salts were about half closed. 

I managed to figure out how to keep them fully opened and I tried again today and it was about 75 out and we ran it for about 20 mins at idle and it hit about 200 then we decided to quite and take it for a drive later today. to see if moving pushing air works better.

I am just trying to figure out what is normalish.