1933 Steering Box Question & Parts

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
15 Jun 2016 16:26 #31272 by curtiss
Replied by curtiss on topic Re: 1933 Steering Box Question & Parts

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: Kunena\Forum\Libraries\BBCode\KunenaBBCodeLibrary::renderEbayLayout(): Argument #1 ($ItemID) must be of type int, string given, called in /home/827734.cloudwaysapps.com/wqvptpacqq/public_html/libraries/kunena/src/BBCode/KunenaBBCode.php on line 304. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
11 Jun 2016 23:18 #31246 by curtiss
Replied by curtiss on topic Re: 1933 Steering Box Question & Parts
Thank for the link, I just sent them a message asking for dimensions. I was at the ACD Factory today and we found some smaller collars so I may actually have the larger ones having a Salon or later box.

• Brad Hoskins
  • Registered
More
11 Jun 2016 16:34 #31243 by Brad Hoskins
Replied by Brad Hoskins on topic Re: 1933 Steering Box Question & Parts
I think the ebay parts from Classic and Exotic are for a larger Ross steering box. Timken made 4 sizes of this bearing set.
From what I could find out, the set that fits the Auburn is one size smaller, is no longer produced and are largely unobtainable but you could check with Brian at Classic and he might have something.
You also might want to consider the condition of the worm as they do get worn in the center.
Maybe consider having the box rebuilt? Lares Corp can do this for you. I got to where you are and spent hours scouring the web for that bearing without success. Put it back together and discovered the worm issue. Spare steering box was worse. Off it went to Lares . If I ever get it on the road, I'll let you know if they did a good job. From a static point of view , the steering is way better than when I sent it in.

Brad

31 8-98 cabriolet

More
10 Jun 2016 08:49 #31239 by xjn001
Replied by xjn001 on topic Re: 1933 Steering Box Question & Parts

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: Kunena\Forum\Libraries\BBCode\KunenaBBCodeLibrary::renderEbayLayout(): Argument #1 ($ItemID) must be of type int, string given, called in /home/827734.cloudwaysapps.com/wqvptpacqq/public_html/libraries/kunena/src/BBCode/KunenaBBCode.php on line 304. Please enable debug mode for more information.

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
06 Jun 2016 13:33 #31235 by curtiss
I took the box apart from my 1933 and I have two questions:

- I noticed the main shaft ball bearings on each side appear to have a gap large enough for an extra ball bearing.
Is there supposed to be a large gap or should they be tight?

- I took apart the small roller bearing from the steering crank and they were pitted very bad. Are these parts reproduced or where could I get these?