removing screws on cylinder inlet water plate

• Ken Neill
  • Ken Neill's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
27 Aug 2004 15:00 #2134 by Ken Neill
Ken Neill replied the topic: removing screws on ilet water plate
Thank you for your input Stan. Having to drill these screws out on these engines seem to be "standard" procedure if they have been sitting for a long while, sort of like the tin man in the Wizard of Oz, except oil alone wont work all the time. Apparently after a couple of months of soaking it worked on 32 of these bolts.. The last Auburn engines I brought back to life several years ago had the same problem, except then I had the advantage of having a complete machine shop literally at my disposal. The engines were also out and we had them on their side to perform this operation. The trick is to drill the bolt through dead center--and sometimes just this seems to free up the threads either due to the stress relief or/and the heat generated in the drilling process. But at present I am doing this project in my attached garage--sort of a Mickey Mouse operation. The engine is in the car and at present there is no reason to take it out. For the two bolts that are broken I will use a transfer punch to locate dead center and then hope I can get the drill at the right angle . I suppose I could construct a jig/fixtire and bolt it to the side of the block to hold the drill at a constant angle, but this would be as time consuming as any other alternative. Thanks again everyone for your advise and input! This is a certainly a GREAT club with a lot GREAT folks in it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds