removing screws on cylinder inlet water plate

• Ken Neill
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
27 Aug 2004 15:00 #2134 by Ken Neill
Replied by Ken Neill on topic removing screws on ilet water plate
Thank you for your input Stan. Having to drill these screws out on these engines seem to be "standard" procedure if they have been sitting for a long while, sort of like the tin man in the Wizard of Oz, except oil alone wont work all the time. Apparently after a couple of months of soaking it worked on 32 of these bolts.. The last Auburn engines I brought back to life several years ago had the same problem, except then I had the advantage of having a complete machine shop literally at my disposal. The engines were also out and we had them on their side to perform this operation. The trick is to drill the bolt through dead center--and sometimes just this seems to free up the threads either due to the stress relief or/and the heat generated in the drilling process. But at present I am doing this project in my attached garage--sort of a Mickey Mouse operation. The engine is in the car and at present there is no reason to take it out. For the two bolts that are broken I will use a transfer punch to locate dead center and then hope I can get the drill at the right angle . I suppose I could construct a jig/fixtire and bolt it to the side of the block to hold the drill at a constant angle, but this would be as time consuming as any other alternative. Thanks again everyone for your advise and input! This is a certainly a GREAT club with a lot GREAT folks in it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
26 Aug 2004 16:36 #2127 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Water Jacket Screws
Sorry guys, original fasteners were #SH-404 1/2, zinc coated steel, slotted, round head, 1/4 - 28. They squeezed a copper asbestos seal washer (gasket) to secure the water jacket cover on all Auburn engines 1928-36. We suggest a combination antisieze sealant like teflon paste so you can remove them in the future. It's easier to just drill and retap to start with. We usually don't try to unscrew any. This is the sort of information that the judging manual would help with!

Stan

PS - Candle wax will usually work better than bees wax and those reverse drill bits also work well if you decide to use them.

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Ken Neill
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
26 Aug 2004 03:21 #2123 by Ken Neill
Replied by Ken Neill on topic water inlet plate
Thank you very much Ray. It looks like mine were replaced with some steel screws. The ones that snapped were mild steel hex heads. I am going to drill them out as soon as I get some tools togeather, such as the right size center punch and easy out. On my Auburn I had several years ago I had to helicoil them. Thanks again! Ken

• Ray Parker
  • Registered
More
26 Aug 2004 00:32 #2122 by Ray Parker
Replied by Ray Parker on topic Water Distribution Plate
Hi Ken: If you have broken two of the screws you will probably have to drill them and use an easy-out. Those screws should be brass -- original ones were brass so they did not freeze in the block. If you need a couple, email me and I will send you some.

Hope all goes well!
Ray Parker

• Ken Neill
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
25 Aug 2004 19:36 #2120 by Ken Neill
Replied by Ken Neill on topic removing screws on cylinder water inlet plate
Thanks very much for this information Al. Right after I posted the request for suggestions on this I tried again to loosen them and to my amazement 32 of them came out rather easily. This was after about five weeks fooling around with them and soaking them almost every day. The bad news however is that two of them broke. But I am going to see if easy outs work on those-- and I will use the bees wax method. Thanks again, Ken

• Al Hatch
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
25 Aug 2004 16:28 #2117 by Al Hatch
Replied by Al Hatch on topic removing screws on cylinder inlet water plate
Ken,

You might have to resort to using heat to get them out but here is a 'trick' that works extremely well for removing frozen bolts. Buy some bees wax from a good local hardware store. Heat the bolts up with a propane torch (which should not overheat the block). Once you have heated the bolt (should be free of paint) apply the bees was directly on the bolt. The heat draws the wax right down onto the threads and once that happens the bolt will come out with little effort.

I have witnessed this many times and it still amazes me how well it works. For the life of me, I don't know who comes up with this ideas but sure am glad that there are people who 'think out of the box'.

Let me know if this works for you.

CORDially,

Al Hatch

• Ken Neill
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
25 Aug 2004 14:12 #2116 by Ken Neill
Is there anyone out there who would wish to offer any suggestions on procecures to remove the screws on the Auburn inlet water plate, short of drilling them out and helicoiling the holes so standard screws can be used? I have soaked these for quite a while and most of them are still frozen. I am reluctant to use any great amount of heat on them becase the block casting is rather thin in this area.