Skip to main content

Lycoming GU water jacket cover

• JOEL GIVNER
  • Registered
More
09 May 2004 01:41 #1717 by JOEL GIVNER
Replied by JOEL GIVNER on topic Lycoming GU water jacket cover
Mike,

If you really want to coat the interior face of the cover...use Belzona Molecular Ceramic EC Barrier or S metal coating. We use this stuff at Nuke plants for Circ Water Pumps to protect them from corrosion. I coated my 8-88 water jacket cover with it as it originally had a few pin hole leaks. This is some good stuff.

I believe that originally they were just bare metal or maybe zinc coated. As previously stated a mix of 50/50 should prevent any rust. Remember, the block is bare metal where the water/mixture resides.

Good luck
Joel

JEG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mike Dube
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
07 May 2004 17:38 #1709 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Lycoming GU water jacket cover
Thanks guys.

I run 50/50 silicate free antifreeze, changed every 2 years (or oftener). I'm pretty sure that the 2 previous owners of the car, that I know personally, did too. One of them had this engine rebuilt years ago. I have to say, that antifreeze or no, I believe this cover is going to rot sooner or later. I know mine did.

What ever I coat it with also needs to stay put and not clog up the cooling system. I'll talk to a powder coater for his opinion. Could be bare metal inside and paint outside would be the best thing.

Mike
8-100A

• PushnFords
  • Registered
More
07 May 2004 16:20 #1708 by PushnFords
Replied by PushnFords on topic Re: Lycoming GU water jacket cover
If you wanted to powder coating or a good epoxy primer would work. It really won't do much though. If you are running the proper 50/50 mix of distilled water and antifreeze then it won't rust even if left bare. If you are running something else for coolant I strongly discourage it. I just spent several weeks repairing corrosion damage to a Cord that had either too old or no antifreeze in it.

Derek

Mike Dube wrote: Hey Guys,

I'm just about ready to install the new water jacket cover I bought from Stan a couple of years back. Any suggestions on painting it? That is to say I'm concerned about what kind of paint (powder coat?) to use on the inside surface. Right now, its still in the red lead as shipped. Longevity is my desire here.

Thanks in advance.

• Lycoming-8
  • Registered
More
07 May 2004 03:37 #1705 by Lycoming-8
Replied by Lycoming-8 on topic Lycoming GU water jacket cover
Mike,

Powder coating sounds like a good way to go on this, but I would certainly check with the powder coater. Let him know what the part is designed to do and the over 212 F water environment that it will see. As you know this is a tough environment and the original parts did not do well in it.

'31 Auburn Coupe

• Mike Dube
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
07 May 2004 03:15 #1704 by Mike Dube
Lycoming GU water jacket cover was created by Mike Dube
Hey Guys,

I'm just about ready to install the new water jacket cover I bought from Stan a couple of years back. Any suggestions on painting it? That is to say I'm concerned about what kind of paint (powder coat?) to use on the inside surface. Right now, its still in the red lead as shipped. Longevity is my desire here.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
8-100A