Skip to main content

653 Brake Lines

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
27 Mar 2006 07:27 #4595 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic 653 Brake Lines
Jim is certainly corrrect about the advantages of SS. But when he talks of copper bursting I'm sure he's referring to any replacement with thinwall copper tubing. I know of no incident of the original thickwall copper ever bursting.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kgluckman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
24 Mar 2006 14:14 #4581 by kgluckman
Replied by kgluckman on topic Brake LInes
I have a 1930 Auburn Cabriolet and am considering replacing the copper brake lines with stainless, which has been recommended. (I searched old messages and found this information -- very useful!)

I am wondering what effect this has on authenticity -- will points be deducted in judging because the material of the lines is not as original?

Ken Gluckman

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
21 May 2004 01:05 #1739 by
Replied by on topic 653 Brake Lines
Kevin,

What part of PA are you from? We are having the Spring meet next weekend in Danville, there should be several knowledgeable Auburn people there. There is also the Macungie show (outside of Allentown) the first weekend in August that a lot of us gather at.

On the brake lines I'd go with stainless steel from the auto store that already have the ends formed. They are easy enough to bend with a tubing bender and you don't have to worry about them bursting like copper lines.

Jim

• PushnFords
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 May 2004 14:30 #1737 by PushnFords
Replied by PushnFords on topic Copper Tubing
The copper brake lines last almost forever and work great - but make sure you use the thick walled tube like they did originally. The thin wall tubing that all the parts stores carry now will burst.

Derek

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
20 May 2004 14:10 #1736 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic 653 Brake Lines
Kevin, the factory used 1/4 copper tubing for the fuel and brake lines on your car. From the looks of the originals it was roll tubing that was cut to lengths. The correct lenghts are in the parts book. The exact routing, I can help you with. Give a call 715-262-3183 3-9 PM central time.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Moos1940
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
02 May 2004 12:29 #1674 by Moos1940
653 Brake Lines was created by Moos1940
Is there anyone making sets of breaklines already bent for the 1935-36 Auburn 653 sedans. If so what is the company. My car had no brake lines on it when i bought it so i dont know how they are supposed to look from the factory.
Thanks in advance
Kevin McQuown