• Ken Neill
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
19 Mar 2004 15:04 #1448 by Ken Neill
Replied by Ken Neill on topic assembly ofAuburn 898 engine
Thanks Josh! I will be looking for it. Hope the mail delivery is on time. Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
19 Mar 2004 13:26 #1445 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Distributor/oil pump shaft and timing
The article that Stan refers to will appear in issue 2-2004 of the Newsletter, due to be mailed next week. (Great timing --- pun intended :D

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Ken Neill
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
19 Mar 2004 05:23 #1441 by Ken Neill
Replied by Ken Neill on topic assembly ofAuburn 898 engine
Hi Stan. Thanks so very much for the reply. I will check out that newsletter also. I was a little skeptical of the "timing the oil pump" theory. Thanks again! Ken

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
18 Mar 2004 22:14 #1436 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Auburn 898 timing
The oil pump doesn't require any timing. The distributor drive shaft has a screw and tapered fitting on top that can be loosened and then reset the distributor to fire on number 1 cylinder. I ran this in the newsletter 3 or 4 years back and Josh said he was going to rerun this data for slow readers, ha, ha.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Ken Neill
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
14 Mar 2004 20:59 #1418 by Ken Neill
assembly ofAuburn 898 engine was created by Ken Neill
I am resurrecting an Auburn898 and am in the process of reassembling the engine after checking the cylinder taper, bearing clearances, the general condition, and doing a valve job. I am wondering if there is specific procedure, other than trial and error, in installing and correctly timing the oil pump. I lined up the flywheel 3 1/2 teeth before tdc, as the Manual states, installed the oil pump, then set the distributor in to see if the rotor lined up at or near no. one terminal. I did this three times before I got the rotor to line up. I am am not sure if I have done this correctly. It seems there must be a more direct way to do this. I am not a mechanic, but several years ago I did an 898 and an 851, and they ran great. however I cant remember exactly how I did it! I have a lot of technical data to which I refer frequently, including ACD newsletters back to 1956. This particular project has raised a world of questions, along with some rather unique problems. Often , specific information cannot be found in old manuals and one must resort to trial and error or infer specifics from the limited data available. I have a long, long way to go on this Auburn. Can anyone offer suggestions on this particular problem, other than packing it all up and sending it all to a professional restorer? Is there some source of information I have overlooked?