Skip to main content

Question regarding stance of Auburn

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 Nov 2006 22:40 #5790 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Springs
Looking at Curt's picture of a brand new Auburn, there definitely is a gap between the top of the rear tire and the lip of the rear fender. Looks like approx. four inches or so.

The spring expert told me that those leaf springs become tired after a long time and allow the car to sag. That's why these cars seem to take on a "low rider" stance. Re-arching the old springs does no good because the spring tension has gone out of the steel. They need to be heat-treated to bring them back to the correct strength. That process is expensive, so replacing the springs is a better alternative.

I noticed that my old leaf springs had been repaired in the past. Someone had added a tenth leaf in an effort to support the sagging assembly.

-Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 Nov 2006 14:23 #5787 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic springs
Thanks, Curt: If you could email them to me, it would be appreciated.

Also, I found an old spring guy who sez he has the correct specs for Auburn spring clearances. He's in Joliet Il, and I'll be driving out to meet him today. Whatever knowledge he has I will pass along to this forum.

Mark

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
16 Nov 2006 12:40 #5785 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Springs
Mark, I have some factory promo pictures I could send you. I'll bet your sedan sets just right. What a PITA is is taking the springs out and get them de arched. Personally I like them to set level and maybe a little low. I remember Jerry V's maroon speedster sitting next to a blue one that he had at the time. There were a bunch of guys around and the comment was made how much higher the maroon one sat and that the blue one looked better. However I do believe the front springs in the blue one were a bit weak.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Nov 2006 16:24 #5779 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic springs
Yeah, Curt: They did taper them down, but I think they may have arched them too much. I'd be interested in seeing a sideview picture of an Auburn
just after it came out of the factory.
Anybody have one? Maybe they have some in the ACD museum...

Mark

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
15 Nov 2006 13:08 #5778 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Auburn Springs
Hey Mark, when you had the springs made, did they taper the springs down at the ends more of a knife edge with the rounded point as original? I have a pair of fronts that were made up, and I couldn't get the spring covers on them. As you indicate factory specs would be cool.
Something that could go in the new restoration guide.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Nov 2006 04:06 #5777 by ilikescars
Question regarding stance of Auburn was created by ilikescars
Hi: I was wondering if anyone out there has any specs, pictures or knowledge of how high an Auburn should be on it's springs? I figured that many cars out there are still using their old leaf springs, and that they are sitting lower than when they came fresh out of the factory.

The reason I ask: I had all new leaf springs made up for my cabriolet, and the car now seems to be sitting pretty high. (The springs were made using factory specs.) Any ideas?

Mark