Skip to main content

29 auburn electric fuel pump & brake questions

More
14 Jul 2019 12:56 #37774 by G-T
Replied by G-T on topic Fuel Pump
Thank You Very Very Much I will do exactly as you telling me; best regards...!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
14 Jul 2019 03:47 #37770 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Fuel Pump
Try a Air-Tex E8902 that puts put 2 to 4 PSI. That is a gear rotor pump that will not have a problem with ethanol fuel. The thread you are addressing is from 2006 and I regret to say some of the previous responders are no longer with us.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

More
12 Jul 2019 17:09 #37750 by G-T
Replied by G-T on topic Fuel Pump
Hi Sir, can I assume that 2 to 2 1/2 psi is the normal for a 1936 supercharged 852? I am trying to replace a faulty back up electric pump that does'nt have any P/N on it. should I go with the upright or the inline model? So to quote you if I dont find a matching PSI 6 volts I can install a 12 volts that its PSI will simply be divided in two?

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
15 Oct 2006 23:10 #5589 by Josh Malks
Tell us all more about your LPG conversion, Bob. (We may need it some day!)

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

More
15 Oct 2006 22:44 #5588 by bob hale
Hello All, You cannot beat LPG. I have now done over 10,000 miles. I do run a valve saver as well. But I dont think it needs it. Bob in England

Regards,
Bob Hale

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
15 Oct 2006 20:55 #5587 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic pressure regulation
Hi!
I found running the auto-pulse and the mechanical in my 812, they will give plenty of fuel and can run on either one alone, I was considering a fuel regulator. I use a cut off electric switch on dash once its running. The engine can be very difficult to start after prolonged running, possibly from rich mixture, just baffles me. I have found in the prewar cars the pumps are fine except the alcohol will remove the shellac that they used to coat the carb floats and gaskets on assembly. They and the auto-pulse will leak with 10% alcohol, I have also seen carb floats dipped with paraffin repairs. If the pumps are disassembled and modern gasket sealers are used and the diaphragms are not perforated, they should be reliable. Also it is important to check the float needle & seat.

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2006 15:22 #5575 by Josh Malks
I mounted my pump to the floorpan on the right side of the car, forward of the rear axle. It is not far from the bend in the exhaust pipe, but this has not been a problem. Mike, your research has been valuable. Thanks.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2006 12:35 #5574 by mikespeed35
Josh,
I talked to Carter eng. about running a 12V pump on 6V and he told we that this pump ran on 6V would run forever. He said it was designed as a 6V pump to start with. I have never felt it to see how hot it gets. It must be used with a filter before the pump because of very close tolerances internally.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• AceCollins
  • Registered
More
12 Oct 2006 14:24 #5568 by AceCollins
Josh, where did you mount your electric fuel pump on your Cord?

1934 Auburn 652Y Four-Door Sedan
1936 Cord 810 Westchester

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
12 Oct 2006 14:16 #5567 by Josh Malks
Interesting idea, Mike, using a 12v pump on 6v. My Cord uses a similar (Carter) rotary pump. I've always used the 6v unit, and I need a regulator at the carb to keep the pressure down. Does the pump function reliably? Have you ever felt it to see how hot it was getting?

Keep the good ideas coming!

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
12 Oct 2006 04:00 #5563 by mikespeed35
I will tell you how I handle me fuel delivery on my 31 Cord which uses a Schibler Carb. Depending on the model 29 you have it might have this carb. also.
I use a rotary fuel pump No. P60504( a NAPA No.) This is a 12V pump but I run it on 6V and it puts out 2 1/2 pounds pres. which is all the pressure you need. This pump should be mounted as close to the tank as possible. I then remove the arm on the mechanical pump, put a blocking plate between the mech. pump and the block. I run the fuel through the mech. pump just as you would a working pump. I run the electric pump all the time and the mech. pump is only a dummy pump. Because the rotary pump does not have a dia. there is no problem with alcohol attacking it. I also have a pressure switch on the oil pressure line going to the oil pressure gauge. This switch is in the circuit to the fuel pump. If I loss oil pressure the fuel pump will shut off, as a safety measure.
As far as brakes are concerned all inner components are available from NAPA. If you don't drive the car much the alum. pistons can corrode in the wheel cyl. even with silicon fluid. They advise pushing on the brakes one an a while to avoid this.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• cbs
  • Visitor
10 Oct 2006 01:21 #5557 by cbs
Try Auburn Cord Parts, the right parts will save days of mix & match. Silicone is a yes as long as you flush everything and replace all rubber incl. lines. Fuel pump try www.classicpreservation.com/elecfuelpumps.html . I had same problem until installed a fuel pressure regulator (about $50 most auto parts stores) to keep pressure low.

• Sheldon
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
09 Oct 2006 02:53 #5555 by Sheldon
Hi All

our 29 had a 6v electric fuel pump put on it decades ago to avoid vapour lock problems

the fuel pump has quit working so would like to replace it - the car floods sometimes and suspect that the fuel pump may have been pushing the needle off the seat - any suggestions as to what type of electric fuel pump is suitable, where to get it and what sort of psi range we need for the updraft carb would be appreciated

the brakes on the car also seem to hang on after using them a few times - the shoes, wheel cylinders, etc do not have many miles on them - was told that it's not uncommon for the master cylinders in these cars to not return properly - there is a very competent local brake rebuilder near here - would they be able to do it? - does it require a kit or just standard O rings etc that the rebuilder would likely have?? or is there someplace that rebuilds them that I should send it too?

if we are doing the master does it make sense to switch to a silicone fluid as the car doesn't get used much?

thanks!!
Sheldon