Skip to main content

1934 Auburn 850Y looks and options

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
07 Sep 2006 13:56 #5367 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic 1934 Auburn 850Y looks and options
It's true that Auburn would paint your car in "non-standard" colors, for a fee. They offered the same option for the Cord 810/812. In both cases the order was placed by the dealer at the time the new car was ordered.

It is important to understand that this did not mean [i:2uyzcuo0]any[/i:2uyzcuo0] color. It meant any stock color available for another make of car. They did not mix custom colors, to my knowledge. So a pink Auburn will still lose points for authenticity. :)

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2006 16:50 #5363 by rfloch
Replied by rfloch on topic 1934 Auburn 850Y looks and options
I've got a pair of trumpet horns on my 850Y Phaeton and a pretty little chrome heater in addition to the radio--probably all dealer installed. I'm sure you could also get any number of driving light options from dealers at the time. There are a number of factory options in the back of the service manual booklet for the 34-36's that the ACD Museum sells. The heater is one of them.

I don't believe that chrome headlights were "standard" on any model. What distinguished the 850Y's from the 850X's is the chrome accent piece on top of the headlight can.

Curt Schultze is likely to have the definitive answers to your questions if he sees this thread. I know he has Auburn sidemount covers on his '34.

Richard Floch

• V.Milke
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
30 Aug 2006 01:39 #5324 by V.Milke
Replied by V.Milke on topic 1934 Auburn 850Y looks and options
Thanks for your responses. I found out it is more a matter of tastes, as it could be delivered monotone or with two colors painting the rear of the body of the full bubbled areas. Even more, Auburn for $60 would paint the car any way or color you wanted.

Victor

• Raymond Loe
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
29 Aug 2006 18:39 #5322 by Raymond Loe
Replied by Raymond Loe on topic 1934 Auburn 850Y looks and options
Hi Mike,

I have a late 850Y cabriolet which is fully restored and gets lots of good remarks from the public and judges.

The headlight finish is always subject to question. I've heard chrome was standard on Y's and paint on X's and also chrome was an extra charge option on all models. My original headlight shells did not appear to ever have been chrome so I painted mine. I think that also helps to set off the chrome trim on top. I also painted the tail lights.

I painted my car two tone blue with beige pin striping on either side of the darker raised bead from the bottom of the grille all the way to the rear splash apron. Also, I painted the front fender "chipmunk cheeks" the darker color and pinstriped as well.

I believe metal covers were part of the package when optional side mount were ordered. If you decide to go after them be carefull you don't get Ford covers. They don't have the chrome center molding.

Bumper Guards were an option on all 34 models

Be glad you have the radio, you could also get an optional hot water heater.

1934 Auburn 850Y Cabriolet
1936 Auburn 852Y Phaeton

• AceCollins
  • Registered
More
20 Aug 2006 04:47 #5261 by AceCollins
Replied by AceCollins on topic 1934 Auburn 850Y looks and options
My 34, which is a 652Y, has all the optional two tone paint on all the "bubbled" or raised areas of the car, including the hood. I have seen a few pictures with monotone paint, but most I have seen have the dualtone paint.

My car originally had the bumperetes, but they must have been removed at some time, they places where they were has much brighter chrome work. Most 34s I have seen today do not have the bumperettes.

As my car does not have the sidemount spares, can't help you on that one, but have seen chrome lights on several vintage pictures, as well as recently restored cars, was told by one owner teh y's had them and the x's did not. But mine is a y and does not have them, so I don't know if the chrome was random or specific to a model.

1934 Auburn 652Y Four-Door Sedan
1936 Cord 810 Westchester

• V.Milke
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
19 Aug 2006 14:03 #5255 by V.Milke
1934 Auburn 850Y looks and options was created by V.Milke
Hi:

I am new to the forum. I am about to purchase a 1934 Auburn 850Y Phaeton. The car has an older amateur restoration done in the 70's and surely hasn't been used much since, so I need to do a lot of work on it, but it is a good solid project missing a few parts (for which I would appreciate leads). I will surely have a lot of questions but to start with the looks of it, I have a few I hope somebody can help me with.

1. I have been looking for lots of pics on my books and on the Internet, and I see lots of cars with painted headlights and some with chrome headlights. Was this an option or was it perhaps and early/late thing? Same applies for the rear lights.

2. Some cars show a contrasting color, most of them in the line that starts with the grille center moulding and goes over the hood and beltline plus the line at the bottom of doors and trunk. Some cars also have additionally the three spears in the hood in a contrasting color. A few cars have additionally the front fender lines and bulge at the side painted in a contrasting color. How were they supposed to be painted originally?

3. Were metallic sidemount covers an option?

4. I have seen cars with bumperettes and some without them. Were they an option?

5. Were there any other options available? This particular car has a radio.

Thanks for your help

Victor