Skip to main content

S/C Auburn dual point settings?

• jrbartlett
  • Visitor
01 Jun 2006 02:19 #4898 by jrbartlett
Replied by jrbartlett on topic Timing Issue
I doubt that your point synchronization could be off by very much. If you have low power, I think it would be more likely caused by the basic distributor timing. Are you sure you aren't running retarded (assuming that your mechanical advance is working)? The advice I've gotten from the experts is to advance the distributor as far as possible without causing a kickback while starting. Factory specs vary from 4 to 10 degrees before top dead center -- I've set mine at 10.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kees Richie
  • Registered
More
30 May 2006 16:22 #4885 by Kees Richie
Replied by Kees Richie on topic Point Synchronizer
The Delco-Remy Synchronizer Tool reproduction project is complete.

You read about the original tool and how to use it in the May-June issue of the News. This new tool is functionally identical to the original although you can see in the photos it looks quite different (photos to be posted soon). The tool syncs both sets of points. The distributor must be removed from the engine. This tool is clearly marked ?MARMON 8 CYL CW?. It can also be used on other clockwise turning distributors with the same size rotor shaft.
This tool is precisely made out of plexiglass using a computer driven laser machine. Paul Spangler?s design eliminates the paralax problem on the original tool. The tool has been used on Paul?s 1930 Model 79 and Sally Barnett?s 1927 Model L.
If you are working on an eight-cylinder Marmon with the four lobe distributor cam, this is a must have tool. It is available now for $22, plus shipping and handling, from:

Paul Spangler
16721 Claridon - Troy Road
Burton, OH, 44021-9606
Tel: 440-834-9692

Maybe this one will do the trick. Another ACD member built one from a Sears angle tool.
The Auburn Delco Remy runs "clockwise" seen from the shaft, but most mechanics define rotation seen from the Dist. Cap, implying counter clockwise....

8 cylinder nut

More
29 May 2006 22:18 #4882 by sds1861
Replied by sds1861 on topic S/C Auburn dual point settings?
Hello Lee:
For an 8 cylinder engine. Once you have the stationary points set to open at the correct advance before TDC for your car, you need a Winn Synchrometer or similar tool to set the adjustable set of points to open at exactly 45 degrees (of distributor rotation) from the stationary set. This 45 degree setting is the same with 4 lobe or 8 lobe distributor cams. On 4 lobe distributors, one set of points fires 4 cylinders and the second set fires the other 4 cylinders. On 8 lobe distributors, both sets of points fire all 8 cylinders. The 45 degree setting remains the same for both types.

Just for the record, this setting is 60 degrees for 6 cylinder engines, 30 degrees for 12s, and 22.5 degrees for 16s.

Best regards,
Steve Stevens

• Lee
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
29 May 2006 11:22 #4877 by Lee
S/C Auburn dual point settings? was created by Lee
Help needed! Okay, Cranks, begins to run; Runs evenly; but no power. With fear (freaked out) that the cam timing is off, I called Curt S. and he 'pointed' out that it is tricky to get the dual points timed correctly. By God, he was right!!! fiddling around I've gotten it running.

Does anybody have a trick to this? I went for 'compression TDC on #1' and set the break (ie using a 6v light to signal to opening of the points)...but how do I get the other set of points correctly set and timed with the first pair?

I did find a web site that talks about setting dual point distributors, but not sure if it fits what we have, a four lobe at:

www.centuryperformance.com/point_settings.asp

Does anybody have a trick or is this web site correct?......thanks Lee[/b]

think driver; look at others