New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Engine rebuild

More
12 Mar 2006 19:10 #4523 by michael arata
Replied by michael arata on topic Engine rebuild
Having just faced the situation I can tell you that a rebuild is not cheap. I bought a rebuilt engine for $6500.00 for my 1931 Auburn, 898-A. Didn't include the cost of installation either. Actually saved a little money having gotten ahold of a rebuilt engine by a reputable mechanic... MA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2019 22:21 #39047 by flyharm
Replied by flyharm on topic Engine rebuild
Good thread...so the question remains as to a list of Lycoming qualified over haul shops. Also is there a source for owners' manuals for Eight Auburns?
thanks!
Larry

More
14 Dec 2019 23:06 - 14 Dec 2019 23:06 #39049 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Engine rebuild
Land-Air Associates in Arlington Heights, Ilinois, did my Lycoming engine. He used to work on Lycoming aircraft engines, but now does all types of old engine rebuilding
Last edit: 14 Dec 2019 23:06 by ilikescars.

More
14 Dec 2019 23:41 #39050 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Engine rebuild
Engine Parts Service did some Duesenberg engines for Randy Ema and will be doing my 37 Cord engine. He is a one man operation in his own shop. Its located about 5 miles from my home in Whittier Ca. Address and phone number is 7337 Whittier Ave. Whittier Ca. 90602. Phone is 562-946-1320. Kurt Frieze owns this and the web is www.enginepartssvc.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Neal Ziff had his Auburn 8 engine there 5 years ago when I walked thru the shop.

Gary Parsons

More
15 Dec 2019 00:26 #39051 by flyharm
Replied by flyharm on topic Engine rebuild
thanks, that helps a bunch.

More
15 Dec 2019 15:54 #39057 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Engine rebuild
Backtracking a little bit. I assume you dropped the engine pan - most cars I have seen people reviving are very glad they did such as they had some pretty crusty stuff in the bottom of the pan (old oil is not "better") - and I have seen plenty of people distribute that crap through their engine and near destroy it and pretty quickly too.

Also, if you are using a 30 weight, I would suspect anything pre WWII would be burning oil - try a 40 weight and then you may then also try a 50 weight if needed.

Finally, use an oil designed for a flat tappeded engine: Ex: inrccca.org/product/classic-car-motor-oil/

JMM

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds