Engine rebuild

More
12 Mar 2006 19:10 #4523 by michael arata
Replied by michael arata on topic Engine rebuild
Having just faced the situation I can tell you that a rebuild is not cheap. I bought a rebuilt engine for $6500.00 for my 1931 Auburn, 898-A. Didn't include the cost of installation either. Actually saved a little money having gotten ahold of a rebuilt engine by a reputable mechanic... MA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2019 22:21 #39047 by flyharm
Replied by flyharm on topic Engine rebuild
Good thread...so the question remains as to a list of Lycoming qualified over haul shops. Also is there a source for owners' manuals for Eight Auburns?
thanks!
Larry

More
14 Dec 2019 23:06 - 14 Dec 2019 23:06 #39049 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Engine rebuild
Land-Air Associates in Arlington Heights, Ilinois, did my Lycoming engine. He used to work on Lycoming aircraft engines, but now does all types of old engine rebuilding
Last edit: 14 Dec 2019 23:06 by ilikescars.

More
14 Dec 2019 23:41 #39050 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Engine rebuild
Engine Parts Service did some Duesenberg engines for Randy Ema and will be doing my 37 Cord engine. He is a one man operation in his own shop. Its located about 5 miles from my home in Whittier Ca. Address and phone number is 7337 Whittier Ave. Whittier Ca. 90602. Phone is 562-946-1320. Kurt Frieze owns this and the web is www.enginepartssvc.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Neal Ziff had his Auburn 8 engine there 5 years ago when I walked thru the shop.

Gary Parsons

More
15 Dec 2019 00:26 #39051 by flyharm
Replied by flyharm on topic Engine rebuild
thanks, that helps a bunch.

More
15 Dec 2019 15:54 #39057 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Engine rebuild
Backtracking a little bit. I assume you dropped the engine pan - most cars I have seen people reviving are very glad they did such as they had some pretty crusty stuff in the bottom of the pan (old oil is not "better") - and I have seen plenty of people distribute that crap through their engine and near destroy it and pretty quickly too.

Also, if you are using a 30 weight, I would suspect anything pre WWII would be burning oil - try a 40 weight and then you may then also try a 50 weight if needed.

Finally, use an oil designed for a flat tappeded engine: Ex: inrccca.org/product/classic-car-motor-oil/

JMM

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds