New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Engine rebuild

More
19 Jan 2020 20:38 #39331 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Engine rebuild
I would have a set of these rods for sale.
Pete Kelly
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2020 05:24 #39346 by Gerczak
Replied by Gerczak on topic Engine rebuild
Do they have an offset on the large end?

More
21 Jan 2020 12:46 #39348 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Engine rebuild
Yes
Here are pics.
Pete
Attachments:

More
05 Mar 2020 04:00 #39645 by Gerczak
Replied by Gerczak on topic Engine rebuild
Thank you Pete on the rods. I have another question on the Lycoming GS block. The original piston bore size for the Kissel 8-95 had a 2.875" bores. My block is already is bored 0.060 over so what is the largest bore size for this block? I have heard that 3.000" bores were used on some Auburns however the gasket kit I just ordered has the head gasket bore sizes 3.170". I was wondering if anyone knows the safe limits on this block?

Also, what is you opinion on valve springs? Should they be replaced or just reused? If replaced, does anyone have a cross reference or suggestions on where to find a set? I also need the valves if you have any suggestions. Thanks for the tips so far.

More
05 Mar 2020 18:27 - 05 Mar 2020 18:28 #39646 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Engine rebuild
My experience with Lycoming blocks matched to paying very careful attention to what other people have as problems, what they have found as solutions, and what they are doing for engine rebuilds = Lycombing seemed to not be real proficient at their block casting quality and at .060 over I would not get too excited about boring it out any more and I would be asking myself if I could just get a new piston and make due with bore ? You may not like my answer, but if you screw it up then you are faced with sleeving or possibly too thin a wall and overheating = then what are you going to do ? I would look at it this way - if you drive the car 2K miles a year (which is a lot) and you drive it for 10 years, where will you be then (I can point you to some make do work that has gone 20K plus miles since restored and I can point you to some flawless that has gone 5 miles in 40 years - ie it all just depends). And, I have had a few projects with odd duck cars where I have had literally zippo options other than make due or totally re-manufacture. And, I would be tempted to just reuse the valve springs as long as none broken. Sounds like they really do have rod issues, so best to upgrade that though.

JMM
Last edit: 05 Mar 2020 18:28 by johnmereness.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
06 Mar 2020 04:51 #39656 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Engine rebuild
If you are buying pistons anyway why not sleeve to standard. Removes the risk of ruining block and thin bores with a heating problem, All of this if you have a uncracked block. Have you had it checked for cracks?
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

Time to create page: 0.347 seconds