Engine rebuild

More
15 Dec 2019 15:57 - 15 Dec 2019 15:58 #39058 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Engine rebuild
To answer the engine rebuild question: I would say not unusual for $1,500 to $2,000 a hole for high end quality. Obviously, if you are doing detailing and legwork the cost will be lower.

JMM
Last edit: 15 Dec 2019 15:58 by johnmereness.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2020 03:37 #39307 by Gerczak
Replied by Gerczak on topic Engine rebuild
I have a question on a lycoming engine similar to an Auburn 1929 8 Cylinder. I am working on rebuilding a 1929 Kissel 8-95 Motor that shares the Lycoming block and I was looking for information on the connecting rods. My original rods were aluminum and everyone I talk with recommends replacing them because they have a high risk of breaking and putting a hole in the block. Does anyone have any recommendations of replacement rods? Should I have them machined, or find a similar used set. They appear unique as they are 9.52" center to center between bores. Crank bore 2.125" and piston pin 0.754". The pistons are 2.875". Any similarities to Auburns? Any recommendations?

• pete kelly
  • Away
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
18 Jan 2020 13:41 #39310 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Engine rebuild
Let me check what I have.
Pete

More
18 Jan 2020 18:14 - 18 Jan 2020 18:18 #39313 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Engine rebuild
"Everyone" who has successfully toured with a car with an engine like this or "everyone" who just has an opinion on topic - there is a difference. I have had two Auburn 8-90's in the garage over time and never heard a word from people regarding rods. Both those Auburn's successfully toured for years and so did our 1930 Franklin with clearly stamped Lyonite original rods, as well as countless Cadillac's, Packard's and .... A Duesenberg - yes, you may want to seriously think about rod replacement and best to change them than think no.

JMM
Last edit: 18 Jan 2020 18:18 by johnmereness.

More
19 Jan 2020 02:41 #39317 by Gerczak
Replied by Gerczak on topic Engine rebuild
I spoke with another owner of an 8-95 engine that has two holes in his block and a destroyed oil pan. The other Kissel restorer that is active replaces them as well. I think if an engine is still in running condition after 90 years and was well taken care of, it probably has good parts in it. However my engine sat for a considerable amount of time and I do not know it's full history so I intend to replace the internals. Aluminum fatigues overtime (that is why airplanes have a finite life) so I have no idea how many cycles my engine went thru. My machine shop recommends finding steel rods (if they exist) or having a new set made. That is why I am asking.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
19 Jan 2020 06:29 #39320 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Engine rebuild
I remember from studying material science back in the early 1970s that with aluminium forgings etc that the grain boundaries within the metal grow over time weakening the material. Consequently replacing the original aluminium alloy rods with steel ones is the best way to go. Just my 2 cents worth.

T cockerell
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds