Skip to main content

Questions from a new member

• Visitor
12 Feb 2006 16:11 #4361 by
Replied by on topic Questions from a new member
Hi Lance,

I see you are in New Paltz. We are having the Spring meet up in Saratoga Springs over Memorial Day weekend. Why don't you come up for the weekend. There will be plenty of people around who know the cars and are willing to offer advice (I'm not say it will all be good advice) and help. You can also have precertification checks done on the car if you want to have it certified.

If you cann't make it for the weekend try to come up on Sunday, we'll have the judging then and a lot of sitting around and swapping lies.

Check out the meet section of the web site for more info.

Jim

P.S. We got 14" so far from the same storm...a great time to work on the cars, there's not much else to do untill it stops.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lance
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
12 Feb 2006 15:27 #4360 by Lance
Replied by Lance on topic Questions from a new member
Thanks to all who chimned in with advice. When I checked the floorboards for the serial # tags they were missing . When I checked the frame I found the correct # ...which made me feel at least a little better . At least I could prove to the DMV that the car was the same car that was on the registration. A couple of nights ago I was rummaging thru a box of parts and pieces that were in the back of the car and FOUND THE SERIAL # TAG!!!! Turns out that the car also has its original engine.
I did finally get the car started only to have it spray gas out of the carb while it was running . I took all the spark plugs out and was able to determine that 2 exhaust valves were stuck open . I was able to shoot some PB Blaster down the valves and 2 days later I was able to tap them down and free them up . All thru the spark plug opening. I now have compression in all cylinders . I was going to try and start her today but we're in the middle of a blizzard. Expecting a foot of snow .
I'll try to post some pictures soon . Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I'll have more questions....time to throw some more wood in the stove .

Lance

• tresenreiter
  • Registered
More
12 Feb 2006 10:49 #4359 by tresenreiter
Replied by tresenreiter on topic Re: Questions from a new member

Lance wrote: Greetings to all . I purchased a 1931 8 98A

Hi Lance!
My Auburn is an 1931 8-98A Sedan, too. If you have some Pictures for us, please post it here. Every day I have a look at ebay. So I find many original books and helpfull manuals for 'our' cars. To adjust the Schebler Carb is not so difficult. When I bought my Sedan it used about 50 liters Fuel for 100 kilometers (Here ?n Germany we pay 1.50 ? for a Liter)
After adjusting ignition and carb my car used only 30 liters per 100 km!
Second, I learn, its important to grease all points.

Greetings from good old germany

Dirk[/img]

Auburn 866 Boattail Speedster VIN866A102

• Lance
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2006 19:08 #4342 by Lance
Thanks Found the # stamped on the frame ....Lance

• samsonized
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2006 18:26 #4341 by samsonized
Replied by samsonized on topic fRAME #
THE SERIAL NUMBER OF THE CAR IS STAMPED ON THE RIGHT RAIL OF THE FRAME BY THE RH STEERING BOX HOLES. ALSO THIS NUMBER IS 1000 OFF OF THE SERIAL #

• Lance
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2006 12:12 #4338 by Lance
My auburn is a 4 door sedan . Also... I'm curious to know if the frame was stamped with the serial # and if so where would I find it . Thanks again. Lance

• samsonized
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2006 11:53 #4336 by samsonized
Replied by samsonized on topic 31 auburn
what body style is your car

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
05 Feb 2006 20:03 #4331 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Questions from a new member
Welcome Lance,

You should find the car's serial # plate under the floor covering just inside the passenger side front door. This will have the car's serial # and the engine # stamped into it. On closed cars, there should be a smaller tag from Central Mfg. in the same area on the drivers side with the body #. The other tag you should be concerned with is on the left front of the engine, in front of the fuel pump. Compare this # with the engine # on the car's serial # tag.

In the old days, cars were often registered with the motor #. I had problems convincing the ladies at the title bureau of this when trying to title my 1932 some years ago.

I'll weigh in on the side of keeping it original too.

PS: the engine color on these is sort of an olive drab shade of green.

Mike
8-100A

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
05 Feb 2006 13:56 #4324 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Sedan
Lance: If the car has it's old factory sheetmetal finish, you might be advised to keep her unrestored. Original cars are hard to find, and there is a small division for judging these. In my opinion, looking at an unrestored original is tons more interesting than a glitzy remake.
-Mark

• Lance
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
05 Feb 2006 03:56 #4323 by Lance
Questions from a new member was created by Lance
Greetings to all . I purchased a 1931 8 98A in January from my friends fathers estate . I wasnt really in the market for an Auburn ..but they made me a great deal and I'm very glad to have it . I own three other collector vehicles ...but this is my first venture into owning an orphan . Today I got the car running for the first time in 20 years. I removed the original carb due to a whole host of problems and replaced it with a Stromberg . The car actually Idled after a few minutes . As most of you know -you get thru one problem only to find the next headache. I only have a couple of questions at this time and I'm hoping that some will be kind enough to answer them.
Is there some sort of VIN tag on this car and where might I find it? Any idea of the value of this sedan . It needs a paint job ...but the body is almost completely rust,dent and ding free . The chrome is about 80%. Also I know that the engine is supposed to be green ...but I can see some blue paint peeking out from under the green . I can only imagine that the motor has been replaced . It appears to be the correct motor...but whats with the blue paint?