Skip to main content

1931 898-A

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
16 Aug 2005 14:00 #3531 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic 1931 898-A
Originally they used babbitt in Auburn Rods. There is a mopar insert that can be used if one so desires. The rod should be pulled from below. Remember, if the engine is actually knocking, new bearings will not necessarily fix it. You may be overlooking what the crankshaft journals look like?

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jan
  • Visitor
15 Aug 2005 08:18 #3527 by Jan
Replied by Jan on topic 1931 898-A
Hi, I am not sure about dimensions between a 35 engine and a 31 but I think the rods are the same. My 35 rods and crank were machined and honed for a modern rod bearing for a Ford Zephyr 1965 but I have found that a rod bearing for a 1935 and up Chrysler 6 has a suitable set-up for both the connecting rod and crank regrinding - it also has the oil hole in the right place. That is just another way to solve the problem compared rebabbitting. I used it because it is very difficult to get the rebabbitt job
done right here in Sweden after what I know./Jan Linderholm

More
14 Aug 2005 23:17 #3525 by pwright
Replied by pwright on topic 1931 898-A
Michael, I have had the rods in my 31 Auburn re-babbitted within the last couple of months and would highly recommend Paul's Rod and Bearing in Missouri. Their phone number is 816-587-4747. Ask for Russ. They also rebabbitted a set of rods for my 32 Auburn last fall and again an excellent job. I got their name from Brian Joseph who also uses them a good bit. I have been told that rod insert bearings are available, but cannot confirm that. The pistons are removable from the bottom of the engine but the crank shaft has to be positioned very carefully in order for them to be removed. The head will likely have to be removed when re-installing due to the fact that the rings cannot be reinstalled going from the bottom up. At least that's what I was told and that's how I did it. Olson's gaskets is a good source for gaskets, including head gaskets. Hope this helps.

• michael arata
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Aug 2005 21:00 #3518 by michael arata
1931 898-A was created by michael arata
Having some engine problems with my 1931 898-A Auburn. Was told that I might need new connecting rod bearings. Can one purchase new bearings ? Does anyone know where one might obtain them ? Can they be replaced by removing the oil pan? Any advice appreciated MA