• Registered
More
09 Aug 2022 02:17 - 09 Aug 2022 02:18 #45831 by JOEL GIVNER
Replied by JOEL GIVNER on topic Auburn 12 Radiator
Justin,
If the bypass is not closing, it will allow water to bypass the radiator

JEG
Last edit: 09 Aug 2022 02:18 by JOEL GIVNER. Reason: Correction

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Justin Kerns
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Aug 2022 19:00 #45803 by Justin Kerns
Replied by Justin Kerns on topic Auburn 12 Radiator
Hi Randy,
Have not checked that. What's the best way to do so? What would the effect be if it was staying open?

Justin
1932 Auburn 12-160A Sedan
1933 Auburn 12-161A Sedan

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
03 Aug 2022 18:19 #45802 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic Auburn 12 Radiator
Justin have you checked the bypass thermostat to make sure it is closing

• Justin Kerns
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Aug 2022 02:23 #45797 by Justin Kerns
Replied by Justin Kerns on topic Auburn 12 Radiator
Thanks very much for the input everyone! We're pulling the radiator out of the car and will see if it's just clogged or needs more work. It already has a non-honeycomb, more modern style core in it so I'm not sure it matters very much for a driver if it has to be replaced. We shall see how bad it is.

Justin

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
03 Aug 2022 01:33 #45796 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Auburn 12 Radiator
I just had two 810-812 radiators rebuilt by Detroit Radiator. They actually make modern tube and fin cores in their factory. I had them build a core with dimpled tubes and straight fins. Seem to work well. They are also able to make or repair parts. $800.00 to completely rebuild each. One to week turnaround. Check out their online videos.

Pat Leahy

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
02 Aug 2022 10:13 #45787 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Auburn 12 Radiator
Jim,I read an article in an old newsletter how a member was having trouble with his Cord 810 radiator. It was basically clogged. His remedy was to temporarily connect up hoses to reverse the flow as well as add filters to collect the debris. Within a few miles the radiator had back flushed itself clean. I will try to find the article.

T cockerell

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
02 Aug 2022 00:09 #45785 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Auburn 12 Radiator
HI Justin, It sound like the radiator core is plugged up. Try back flushing and having it boiled out.

I would recommend putting a filter in the radiator hose between the engine and the radiator. I have had several cars run along fine, even "clean" engines and all of the sudden puke a bunch of junk into the radiator and plug it. If you have a filter in the line it will catch all the junk and save the radiator. You can clean out the filter on the side of the road, refill the radiator and be back on the road in under 30 minutes (including cool down). I know , it happened to me this past weekend.

I hope to see you in Auburn this year!
Jim

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
01 Aug 2022 23:27 - 01 Aug 2022 23:31 #45782 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Auburn 12 Radiator
Justin,  I am hoping you get some better answers than mine.

I do not know about a V-12 core, though an 850/851/852 core in a honneycomb has to come out of England - Brassworks in California can get close, but no cigar.  If your radiator has already been recored once then perhaps just recore a second time (or see if it can be rodded our and/or backflushed .  I am thinking a brassworks raditor will be a substantial couple of thousand.  I local radiator shop recore with a more modern core should be under $1,500.   I would like to tell you honneycomb all the way, but unless showing car for points then I would not get too concerned one way or another.  I just put a new Brassworks radiator in a friends 1929 Packard 640 (with shipping both ways, it came just shy of 5K and work is IMPRESSIVE).

As a sidenote: A friend just did her radiator in her 1932 1750 Alfa Romeo and she is running about 30K (and will need to have paint matched and painting done to get job finished). And I have heard tale of some pre-war Mercedes radiators running 50K-ish.

As an add'l sidenote, the fellow who made the V-12 Brougham (that you see at ACD festival)  was having problems last year with overheating and I think we pinned that down to lower radiator hose collapse under acceleration (the hose did not have a spring in it) and/or he just does not have enough restriction via having a proper automobile V-12 thermostat housing doing everything it should be doing (ie coolant has to stay in a radiator for a certain amount of time and too slow or too fast of movement will cause overheating).   Where I stumbled into the spring issue in the lower hose was with my 1941 Cadillac - it overheated upon rebuilding the engine and turned out new hoses that were not as heavy matched to no spring - we caught the  issue running the car on a dyno.

JMM
Last edit: 01 Aug 2022 23:31 by johnmereness.

• Justin Kerns
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 Aug 2022 22:55 #45781 by Justin Kerns
Auburn 12 Radiator was created by Justin Kerns
Looking for guidance on having a radiator for Auburn 12 rebuilt. Based on temp differentials between the top and bottom tanks it does not appear to have sufficient flow down through the core. The top end continues to heat out of control and the bottom never gets hotter. This radiator was last rebuilt in the mid-1970's. The water jacket covers were replaced on this engine 3 years ago and the block was cleaned at that time. I'm not sure if the core can be salvaged or, if a replacement is necessary, where to source that. Also if anyone has a spare 12 cylinder radiator, especially a Salon type, I'd love to know about that too. Any help is appreciated!

Justin