Gear Vendors for 1931 8 98 A Phaeton

• rickvb
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
27 Mar 2022 22:54 #45081 by rickvb
Replied by rickvb on topic Gear Vendors for 1931 8 98 A Phaeton
Hi Tanstett
Sorry if my post did not get to you so I am definitely interested in the dual rear end option and it seems from subsequent posts that others will be if it doesn't work for me.
Here below is my earlier earlier post and will now also try to send it to you directly.

I would be keen to understand more before committing to the overdrive route. Two dual rear ends were brought to NZ and one has been successfully installed and the other is about to be. I would need to follow up as to much they needed to do to restore/ rehabilitate them.
Would you be able to tell me about the rear end you have as that would be great to hear and then of course did you have a price in mind ??
regards
Rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rickvb
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
27 Mar 2022 22:53 #45080 by rickvb
Hi Tanstett
Sorry if my post did not get to you so I am definitely interested in the dual rear end option and it seems from subsequent posts that others will be if it doesn't work for me.
Here below is my earlier earlier post and will now also try to send it to you directly.

I would be keen to understand more before committing to the overdrive route. Two dual rear ends were brought to NZ and one has been successfully installed and the other is about to be. I would need to follow up as to much they needed to do to restore/ rehabilitate them.
Would you be able to tell me about the rear end you have as that would be great to hear and then of course did you have a price in mind ??

regards all

• PastorLacey
  • Registered
More
27 Mar 2022 02:17 #45076 by PastorLacey
Replied by PastorLacey on topic Gear Vendors for 1931 8 98 A Phaeton
I’m interested in your dual speed rear end if the original poster isn’t.

James Lacey
918-938-3894
[email protected]

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
24 Mar 2022 13:36 #45059 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Gear Vendors for 1931 8 98 A Phaeton
I bought my 31 coupe with 61,000 miles on the clock. It came with a non shifting dual ratio which I eventually got to work. It looked very original to me.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• rickvb
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
24 Mar 2022 10:10 #45056 by rickvb
Hi and thank you for reaching out.

best regards
Rick
ps I am not sure if I can give you an email here but will happily also text you in due course

More
24 Mar 2022 00:58 #45055 by gnutting
Replied by gnutting on topic Gear Vendors for 1931 8 98 A Phaeton
Dual speed rear not available on 8-98, I think. Nevertheless, I have one on my 8-98A, installed by some previous owner, I'm sure, who also installed a '32 instrument panel, which has the control for the rear (not presnet on the correct '31 panel). Mine doesn't work, locked in high speed (I hope!), parts of the controls at the rear are missing, and I'm not sure what. Would like to get info, and interested in parts, tho I don't need the differential itself.

Jack Triplett
1931 Auburn 898A speedster

• Tanstett
  • Registered
More
23 Mar 2022 22:59 #45051 by Tanstett
Replied by Tanstett on topic Gear Vendors for 1931 8 98 A Phaeton
I have a dual speed rear if you are interested

• rickvb
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Mar 2022 22:49 #45050 by rickvb
Thank you Curt as it is amazing to see your and some others consistent help to members as I have trawled through pretty much all of the Auburn forum history.
I am keen to go down the overdrive route as it would be difficult to source a dual ratio rear end in ok condition. My car is unmolested and certified so the overdrive seems to be forgivable at least down here. I was looking for counsel and any experience with the 78:1 ratio of the GV overdrive compared to say a Mitchell which could go to 30%. I think the GV wil be fine for getting the rpm comfortable at 55mph or maybe even 60mph so that I can move more easily in traffic on our largely 2lane 2 way roads.
regards
Rick

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
23 Mar 2022 16:41 #45049 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Gear Vendors for 1931 8 98 A Phaeton
Are you wanting to install a Dual Ratio rear differential ?

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• rickvb
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 Mar 2022 08:46 #45047 by rickvb
Gear Vendors for 1931 8 98 A Phaeton was created by rickvb
I have enjoyed reading earlier posts on this topic but now read that the project did not proceed. The analysis from Mike and others was really helpful. I have had my car ex Curt Curtis since mid 2021 and am now keen to fit an overdrive. I have started the conversation with GV but had alos looked at Mitchell which a number of Packards have fitted down here. For now seemed that GC was the way to go so am keen to hear from anyone who might have done this and how they got on ??