New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

852 SC Cabriolet.

• Pwestphal
  • Pwestphal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
29 Jul 2021 02:19 #43589 by Pwestphal
852 SC Cabriolet. was created by Pwestphal
Thermostat replacement. The thermostat seems to have a fair amount of play within the housing. Should it have a rubber gasket to make it secure?

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2021 12:52 #43598 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic 852 SC Cabriolet.
There wasn't one when it was new. Possibly you have the wrong t-stat

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Pwestphal
  • Pwestphal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
29 Jul 2021 23:30 #43606 by Pwestphal
Replied by Pwestphal on topic 852 SC Cabriolet.
I purchased thermostat from you. The old one had play as well. See how deep recess is, not a snug fit. Thinking a rubber gasket would help.
Attachments:

More
29 Jul 2021 23:50 #43607 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic 852 SC Cabriolet.
It is my opinion that the cylinder head is rotted out. You might be able to get the head machined and refit with a ring with the correct inset. Personally I would invest in a new head.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
30 Jul 2021 03:12 - 30 Jul 2021 03:14 #43609 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic 852 SC Cabriolet.
I tried using a large "0" ring to take up the space and it didn't stay in position. Then I used something else but don't remember what it was. Maybe RTV. Curt is right, your thermostat housing looks very corroded. That is usually a sign of what the interior of the head looks like. If you aren't going to remove the head now I would buy one and have it ready for the future.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
Last edit: 30 Jul 2021 03:14 by mikespeed35. Reason: Sp.

More
30 Jul 2021 05:36 #43611 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 852 SC Cabriolet.
Agreed. Machining this for a snug fit wont change whats happening internally to your head. Sorry but it appears to be new head time..

Gary Parsons

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds