New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

Can anyone identify these sheet metal panels?

• DONALD.ELMER
  • Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
24 Jun 2021 02:31 #43385 by DONALD.ELMER
Can anyone identify these sheet metal panels? was created by DONALD.ELMER
I think these three sheet metal panels belong under the engine on my 1933 8-105 Salon. I have never been able to understand what they are, where they go and whether or not they belong on an 8-105

Any help would be appreciated
[attachment=5837]Undercarriage panels.jpg[/attachment]
  • [/ol]
    Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    27 Jun 2021 01:02 #43401 by Justin Kerns
    Replied by Justin Kerns on topic Can anyone identify these sheet metal panels?
    Hi Donald,

Those 3 pans mount around the base of the engine on each side and under the front. They reduce road splash & debris coming up onto the engine. It's very nice that you have these as they were often removed for maintenance and discarded!

Justin
    1932 Auburn 12-160A Sedan
    1933 Auburn 12-161A Sedan

• DONALD.ELMER
    • Topic Author
    • Forum Contributor
    • Forum Contributor
    More
    29 Jun 2021 02:45 #43417 by DONALD.ELMER
    Replied by DONALD.ELMER on topic Can anyone identify these sheet metal panels?
    Thanks! I suppose that the engine has to be lifted up to install?

More
    29 Jun 2021 02:56 #43418 by Justin Kerns
    Replied by Justin Kerns on topic Can anyone identify these sheet metal panels?
    I'm not 100% sure about 8 cylinder engines but I would think they would be removable on their own. They often had to be removed to perform maintenance on the engine. I'd be very surprised if you had to dismantle anything to remove/install them. Hopefully someone else with first hand experience with the 8 cylinder can confirm.

Justin
    1932 Auburn 12-160A Sedan
    1933 Auburn 12-161A Sedan

• mikespeed35
    • ACD Club Life Member
    • ACD Club Life Member
    More
    29 Jun 2021 04:17 #43421 by mikespeed35
    Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Can anyone identify these sheet metal panels?
    Very unlikely that would be the case. Not that way with L-29 , Auburn speedster, or Marmon 16.
    CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

More
    29 Jun 2021 05:00 #43422 by [email protected]
    These panels go around the engine. There is one of the rectangle one that goes on the two sides that has a indent in it. It is for the steering column. That one goes on the drivers side. The other square one goes on the passenger side. These two the engine does not need to be removed. However, most of the cars that we have worked on the are completely original have a fabric strip that is riveted one the panel and is sandwiched between the block and oil pan. The other one that you have goes under the pulley for the fan. The engine has to be tilted up to get that one in because the engine sits on that panel and the bolt goes through one of the holes. This is a nightmare to put on with the engine still somewhat in.

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds