Skip to main content

Whitch Chassi from Auburn 852 replica by Elegant Motors

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
04 May 2021 02:20 #43031 by mikespeed35
Greenwood is a suburb of Indy. Maybe the Indy 500 Museum could help.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AuburnNut
  • Registered
More
29 Apr 2021 19:18 #42995 by AuburnNut
I don't think the insurance company has anything to do with it. My guess is that it is an old company that once operated in Greenwood Indiana. Lots of companies have similar names

• JohnBlacky
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
29 Apr 2021 17:41 - 29 Apr 2021 17:42 #42993 by JohnBlacky
Is it correct that American Modern is a name for the Top Classic Car Insurance Provider by Car and Driver? And nothing else does this sticker on the headlight say?
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Apr 2021 17:42 by JohnBlacky.

• JohnBlacky
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
29 Apr 2021 16:50 #42992 by JohnBlacky
Here are the other photos that you also mentioned Jerome

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

• AuburnNut
  • Registered
More
29 Apr 2021 16:45 #42991 by AuburnNut
H
I will start researching it tonight for you and I'll contact you directly rather than through the website
regards
J

• JohnBlacky
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
29 Apr 2021 16:36 #42990 by JohnBlacky
Hello Jerome, thank you very much for the first information. I found the following letter in the vehicle, which the seller probably referred to. Then I added engine numbers. Maybe that will help a little.
In Germany, the frame of the original vehicle must be specified. Can you tell me which GM or which Pontiac it could have been?
Attachments:

• AuburnNut
  • Registered
More
29 Apr 2021 14:25 #42989 by AuburnNut
I own an Elegant Motors replica but my chassis is factory modified and based upon a full sized donor Ford from the mid 1970's - common for Elegant Motors at the time. Typically the front and rear suspension would be from the donor car and the area in between would be a custom chassis in order to get the correct original wheelbase dimensions (which mine is exactly). The suspension and engine would most often come from the same donor car (so if you identify the engine, often that matches the suspension. Elegant Motors typically had a couple of chassis layouts....I have photos.
Now Your car was sold by St Louis Car museum. ...as I kept photos of the car in my PC. As I recall It was stated that it was built by Elegant Motors but I am suspicious and have not seen another one like it....and I consider myself quite knowledgeable on the subject of Elegant Motors cars and their identifying features. Your car also has the words "American Modern Classic Inc. Greenwood Indiana" engraved into a name plate on one of the spot lights. I actually suspect your car was built by that organization (who I imagine no longer exist). What documentation apart from a sellers statement do you have that it was built by Elegant Motors? Many replicas are innocently misidentified. I can show you a number of features of your car that do not match the way Elegant Motors built cars. Your car is very nice indeed and has lots of original style features (making it very attractive) but in these particular areas I can show you that they do not match the original factory Auburn cars nor do they match the Elegant Motors way of building a replica. Why would Elegant Motors use a different door latch just for this car, when that latch is not an approach or part used by an Original Auburn either. I do think the body panels on your car are most likely bought from Elegant Motors, but then I think your car was assembled by some other organization.....most likely American Modern Classic Inc. and they had their own unique way of building the car. This may mean your chassis is a unique combination of components eg you have a rear leaf suspension......and maybe I'm right in saying it looks to have a Ford 9 inch differential (could be GM/Pontiac but I don't know those cars well.) I think you will find the chassis number stamped onto your tan colored chassis section (as seen in your photo) has been done by the builder of the chassis and has no identifying meaning beyond that. Your engine number however will most probably be the original engine number.....which if it is a GM/Pontiac will make sense, and will tell you what year the engine was made.

I hope these comments are useful to you. You have a very nice car, and if you would like extra information from me please feel free to contact me directly. Regards Jerome

• JohnBlacky
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
29 Apr 2021 10:11 #42983 by JohnBlacky
I need help. I need to find out which chassis was used for my Replicar. This correct Auburn 852 Boattail Speedster replica by Elegant Motors from 1981 include a GM Pontiac 400ci V8 6.6L with a 4-cylinder Quadrajet carburetor and Turbo-Hydramatic 350 3-speed automatic transmission with limited slip differential. I have enclosed photos of the chassis and would be very happy if someone could tell me which model the chassis was taken from.