Skip to main content

1931 exhaust systems

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
10 Mar 2021 21:28 #42576 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic 1931 exhaust systems
I checked my original cutout muffler and the outlet is about 1 5/8". I recall I used 1 of Frank's cut out mufflers and it fit perfectly with no modification of anything. The tailpipe went over the outlet so could have been 1 5/8" swaged to fit over or 1 3/4" pipe.
Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
10 Mar 2021 13:33 #42569 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic 1931 exhaust systems
It is rusted off and basically missing.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Brad Hoskins
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
10 Mar 2021 03:10 #42566 by Brad Hoskins
Replied by Brad Hoskins on topic 1931 exhaust systems
Hey Curt

Agreed, not easy. Good thing I haven't progressed far enough to have the body mounted to the frame and was able to attack it form the top. As I'm sure you found out, the tailpipe clearance through the x-frame cutout is almost negligible which has me thinking the the original pipe might have been 1 5/8" which would fit the original muffler outlet I have. On the other hand, they might have simply swaged the end of a 1 3/4" pipe. I'd ask you to go check on the original sedan you have but that would likely be a week's worth of exercise for a 'nice to know' instead of a 'need to know'!

Brad

31 8-98 cabriolet

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
10 Mar 2021 01:17 #42561 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic 1931 exhaust systems
I have a 31 8-98 coupe. Don supplied the head pipe and the tailpipe .
Frank the cutout and muffler. Both went together with out any alterations.
But no one says it was quick or easy.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Brad Hoskins
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2021 22:05 #42557 by Brad Hoskins
1931 exhaust systems was created by Brad Hoskins
Can anyone clarify the original ID of the tailpipe and whether it fit over or inside of the muffler outlet?
Reason I ask is that I have two original ( unuseable of course !) mufflers, Both mufflers have the cutout so I'm pretty sure they are correct for 1931-33. Both outlets are smaller than the Cek reproduction muffler I am using and definitely don't fit the 1 3/4" pipe that Don Simmons made the new tailpipe out of.
Not complaining , just curious.

As for Frank and Don, just want to offer kudos as both their products are exemplary.
In particular, Don's tailpipe is a perfect fit . If you have ever tried to install a tailpipe in these cars, then you know how crucial the fit is. My car came with a replacement tailpipe from a former supplier, ( starts with a K and is now out of business) , and I can understand why the car's former owner had serious problems installing it since it was missing two critical bends among other issues Some of the clearances to various frame components are less than 1/8" and I think it would be a nightmare for even a local muffler shop to undertake fabrication without a good pattern.( I tried and none of them wanted a go and none would even look at stainless)!
The old one ( hardly used) now sits in the scrap pile.:( :(

Brad

31 8-98 cabriolet