Skip to main content

812 coolant problems

More
05 Nov 2020 13:45 #41422 by CTCraig
Replied by CTCraig on topic 812 coolant problems
I agree with the partially plugged radiator core. Coolant enters the top and flows down. Any restriction will cause excess coolant to push out the top tank.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
15 Oct 2020 04:06 #41177 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic 812 coolant problems
Rad. plugged will impede flow.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
14 Oct 2020 15:10 #41170 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic 812 coolant problems
I agree, if you overfill the radiator then it will find its own level and pump that out the overflow.

The next scenario is a bad water pump sucking in air.

And the worst scenario is bad heads or bad headgaskets.

JMM
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2020 22:22 #41162 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 812 coolant problems
Welcome to the club. First thing is check the temperature of the coolant. These original radiators were Jamestown or Modine honeycomb core. The overflow is kind of odd. The tube running from the top drivers side down to the bottom of the radiator is set inside the bump out on top of the radiator top tank. So it can push coolant out when it expands to the overflow tube in this bump. It does not work like a modern day radiator cap where pressure pushes open a spring and allows coolant to pass to the catch can. Our cars do not catch the overflow. Then from there you have plenty of possibilities why this can happen. I do not feel the water pump belt is slipping but look for it to be loose too. Then finally the heads could be lifting causing combustion gas getting into the cooling system causing over pressurizing the system. But one set at a time. No rushing this. A simple idea like replacing the water pump belt is a major job. The pump has to come off. The distributor needs to come out. Its a big job but plenty of help to guide you thru it if you choose to EVER replace the belt.

Gary Parsons

• Vettepit
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Oct 2020 22:03 #41161 by Vettepit
812 coolant problems was created by Vettepit
My father just purchased his dream 812 #1155h and I am helping him get it road ready.
After running about ten minutes coolant is coming out of overflow at a steady pace.
What are the first steps I should take to diagnose this problem?
Thank you